$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Bombers baseball team doubles up Golden Eagles

The baseball team swept a doubleheader against St. Joseph’s College, Long Island on March 6 by scores of 4–1 and 18–2. The Blue and Gold were coming off an opening weekend that saw them lose each of their first three games, but the team looked rejuvenated this time around.

In the first game of the doubleheader, pitching dominated most of the game as both teams were held scoreless through the first six innings. Senior Benjamin Parkes picked up the win as he threw seven solid innings, only allowing one run on four hits while striking out two batters. Bombers senior reliever Ryan Contegni earned the save after two scoreless innings to end the game.

St. Joseph’s starter Nick Girardi went five innings without allowing a hit, but gave up six walks. Reliever Josh Outsen took the loss after giving up three earned runs.

Despite struggling to make consistent contact, the Bombers were dominant on the basepaths and finished the game with five steals. Sophomore center fielder Domenic Boresta managed to steal three bases on his own while going 1–3 at the plate and walking twice.

Junior third baseman Trevor Thompson walked three times and scored one run after a single from junior catcher Ryan Henchey in the top of the eighth inning. Henchey picked up two runs batted in on the day while going 1–3 at the plate. Freshman Andrew Bailey went 1–5 as the designated hitter and picked up one run batted in as well.

In game two of the day’s action, the Bombers came out strong from the beginning of the game and took a 10–0 lead by the sixth inning. The Blue and Gold scored seven runs in the fifth inning after senior left fielder John Stanley hit a two-run single to capitalize on a bases loaded opportunity.

Singles from sophomore second baseman Josh Savacool and freshman center fielder Matt Carey extended the lead even further. One inning later, Henchey hit a two-run home run to extend the Bomber lead to 12–0.

St. Joseph pitcher Ryan Aloise lasted only four innings and gave up three runs on seven hits. Reliever Steven Szobesky lasted on two-thirds of an inning and allowed six earned runs on five hits.

The Bombers scored another five runs in the seventh inning to extend their lead to a whopping 16 runs. The Golden Eagles managed to squeak out two runs in the bottom of the sixth.

Sophomore starter Tyler Hill went five innings for the South Hill squad, allowing only three hits and racking up five strikeouts. The Blue and Gold offense finished the day with 20 hits while six individual players collected two or more hits.

The Bombers will look to keep the momentum going as they travel out west to begin a seven-game road trip starting at 3 p.m. PST March 13 in Claremont, California against Pomona-Pitzer College at Alumni Field.

$1375
$2000