$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Bombers post consecutive shutouts to sweep SUNY Geneseo

ANA MANIACI MCGOUGH
From left, SUNY Geneseo senior third baseman Iris Kahris and first-year student shortstop Bella Nadzan cover third base as Ithaca College sophomore third baseman Sela Scheinman slides in.

The Ithaca College softball team swept its double header against the SUNY Geneseo Knights on May 3 at Kostrinksy Field.

In game one of the doubleheader, the Bombers demolished Geneseo in a 7–0 blowout off the back of a phenomenal start from the Bombers’ senior pitcher, Riley Piromalli, who threw a no-hitter.

The game started off with both starters trading scoreless innings. Within those scoreless innings neither side was able to get a hit, let alone a baserunner. That held until the start of the third inning.

In the bottom of the third inning, the Bombers exploded for five total runs off Geneseo senior pitcher Mattie Woodward and junior pitcher Sydney Bolton. 

The frame started off with consecutive singles from Bombers’ junior center fielder Belle de Oliveira and senior first baseman Madison Casale. That was followed by back-to-back walks from sophomore second baseman Sela Scheinman and senior third baseman Allison Dell’Orto, bringing home the first run of the game.

Junior right fielder Hudson Hassler came to bat with one out and the bases loaded. Hassler hit a triple, clearing the bases and making the score 4–0. She was then brought home on a sacrifice fly from first year student Suzie Williams to cap off a five-run inning. 

Piromalli, who had been perfect up until the top of the fourth, surrendered her first and only baserunner of the game after an error by de Olivera in center field allowed a runner to reach second base. Because the play was scored as an error, Piromalli held onto the no-hitter.

In the fifth Hassler drove in Dell’Orto for her fourth RBI of the day. Hassler ended the game going two for three at the plate while scoring a run and driving in four.

“I just had a lot of confidence, and we talked about just getting runners on,” Hassler said. “We wanted to bounce back today [after a 1–0 loss to the University of Scranton on May 2].”

The final run of the first game was brought home on a Geneseo fielding error in the bottom of the sixth inning. Piromalli finished off Geneseo in seventh, completing her no-hitter and shutout, tallying 11 strikeouts along the way.

In game two, the Bombers would post another shutout over Geneseo. This time it was a much lower scoring affair as they won 2–0.

The game started similar to the first game of the doubleheader as both sides were scoreless through the first couple of innings. 

The South Hill squad would break the silence in the bottom of the fourth inning, scoring both of their runs. First-year student Haley Petrucci led off the inning with a double into right field. She was then brought home on a one-out single from sophomore designated hitter Olivia Comolli. Commoli was pinch run for by Williams, who stole second base and advanced to third on a fielder’s choice. Williams scored the last run of the day off another Geneseo fielding error.

The Bombers sophomore pitcher Anna Cornell finished her day after throwing five scoreless innings. She was relieved by sophomore pitcher Bella Scolaro, who completed the shutout.

The Bombers next game is at 3 p.m. May 5 when they head to the Rochester Institute of Technology for a doubleheader.

$1495
$2000