$1275
$2000

Fall Sports All-Ithacan Team

Football

By Andrew Sullivan

Sophomore linebacker Dan Loizos made the leap to varsity this season where he earned a starting gig right out of the gate and proved to the coaching staff that he could be an effective run-stopper for the Bombers’ defense. If there was a hole with a running lane for an opposing running back to burst through, Loizos would be there in a flash to plug it as his team-leading 94 total tackles ranked fourth-best in the Empire 8 Conference. In half of the team’s games in 2015, Loizos recorded double-digits in total tackles. He finished second on the squad in tackles for loss with 11. However, Loizos was far from being a one-dimensional defender. He also forced a fumble while recovering two, in addition to intercepting a pass and blocking a kick this year.

Men’s Soccer

By Alex Wong

A junior transfer student, Zach Jacobsen commanded the Bombers’ backline as if he had been starting since his freshman year. He started in 17 games, posting a 7–8–3 record overall with 97 saves and six shutouts. His signature moment of his first season in net for the Bombers was in the opening round of the Empire 8 Tournament. The Bombers had played 110 minutes of scoreless soccer against Elmira College, and the fate of the season came down to penalty kicks. Each team had converted on all their chances after 10 rounds, and Jacobsen needed one save to give his side the upper hand. Elmira’s midfielder Aidan Gray struck the ball and Jacobsen dove to his left, palming it out of harm’s way. One kick later, the Bombers were moving on to the Empire 8 Championship.

Women’s Soccer

By Adam Brobst

The women’s soccer team had nine shutouts this season, an amazing feat that cannot be talked about without mentioning its rock in the net, senior goalkeeper Beth Coppolecchia. Coppolecchia was second in the Empire 8 Conference in saves and goals against with 123 saves and .744 goals against. She also boasted a save percentage of 89 percent. She started all 20 games this season, clocking 1,814 minutes in goal. Over the course of the season, Coppolecchia and her teammates held their opponents to 15 points. The Bombers had a very successful regular season, going 13–5–2, and Coppolecchia played a huge role in their dominance during her final season with the Bombers.

Field Hockey

By Reed Keller

A huge factor in the field hockey squad’s success was junior goalie Katie Lass, who set career highs in shutouts, seven, save percentage, .890, and goals allowed, a stingy 16. Against teams like the Bombers’ biggest rival, SUNY Cortland, nationally ranked No. 5 William Smith and No. 15 Rochester, Lass allowed only three goals while facing 47 shots by those potent offenses. She also backstopped the Bombers to an impressive 7–1 conference record, their best mark ever. Lass’ stellar stats secured her a spot on the Empire 8 first team all-conference, alongside senior Caitlin O’Brien and junior Colleen Keegan-Twombly. The most important award Lass earned was her first Empire 8 Player of the Year award, only the second Bomber ever to be honored.

Volleyball

By Madison Bess

Sophomore Joelle Goldstein showed strength on the court defensively and offensively. Goldstein had an average hitting percentage of .262 to go along with 119 spikes and 381 kills. She collected a career-high 20 kills on two occasions this year. Goldstein had an impeccable 990 total attacks throughout the season. Goldstein also had an impressive 340 digs on the season.  The highest number of digs she recorded in a single game was 20 against Cortland on Oct. 7. Goldstein has proven herself to be an all-around talented volleyball player. She has scored a total of 439.5 points this season and had a good season on all sides of the court.

Men’s Cross-Country

By Danielle Allentuck

One year after qualifying for the NCAA Division III Men’s Cross-Country Championship, senior runner Sawyer Hitchcock led the Bombers to their sixth straight Empire 8 Men’s Cross-Country Championship. Hitchcock placed first individually for the second straight year at the championship meet and was named athlete of the meet after finishing 21 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher. He was also the Empire 8 men’s cross-country Runner of the Week three times this season. Throughout the season, Hitchcock was consistently the Bombers’ top runner. Hitchcock earned his third bid to the NCAA Division III Championships after his seventh-place finish at Regionals as well.

Women’s Cross-Country

By Danielle Allentuck

Sophomore Taryn Cordani led the Bombers to their 13th straight Empire 8 Women’s Cross-Country Championship this season and was the Bombers’ first individual champion since 2011. She was named Athlete of the Meet after her time of 17:51.2 placed her 41 seconds ahead of her next closest competitor. Cordani was also named the Empire 8 Runner of the Week three times. She was the Bombers’ fastest runner all season and notched top finishes in all of the meets in which she competed. She recently qualified for the NCAA Division III Championships after taking second place at Regionals with a time of 21:56.7, the best finish by a Bombers runner since 2004.

Women’s Tennis

By Matt Hornick

Junior Haley Kusak took control of this season for the Bombers, leading the team to an 11–0 record and the team’s 11th straight Empire 8 Championship. Kusak posted a 10–0 record in singles play, and she only lost more than two games in a match once.  She was equally dominant in her doubles play, winning all 11 of her doubles matches. Kusak’s success was recognized at the end of the season when she was awarded with All-Empire 8 first team honors, Empire 8 Player of the Year and Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Month for October. Kusak will lead the Blue and Gold into the second half of their season starting Feb. 20 when they take on the University of Rochester.

Women’s Golf

By Caitie Ihrig

Sophomore golfer Indiana Jones greatly improved her play to help lead the Bombers this year by consistently having low scores in each round played. Her lowest score this year was a 70, which is seven strokes better than her personal best from last season. In three out of the five tournaments played this year, Jones came in first place for the team, while coming in  second in the other two tournaments. Jones’ competitive nature helped the team take the Empire 8 Championship crown for the fourth year in a row by having a low score of 108. Her improvement and hard work were recognized when she was awarded the Empire 8 Player of the Year.      

Sculling

By Vinica Weiss

Graduate student Jennie Peterson was a standout for the sculling team in its 2015 season. In the squad’s opening regatta on Sept. 27, Peterson, along with sophomore Karina Feitner, medaled in the open two boat, taking first place. At the Head of the Genesee on Oct. 3, the double of Peterson and senior Emily Morley finished with a time of 18:19.05, coming in first in the event. The duo then went on to the Seven Sisters Regatta on Oct. 11 and had a strong outing, finishing in one of the top spots. At the Head of the Schuylkill on Oct. 24, Peterson and Morley were the first collegiate boat to cross the finish line in the doubles event, taking fourth place with a time of 17:38.68.

$1275
$2000