$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Field Hockey: Bombers extend red-hot start with win against SUNY-Oswego

The field hockey team is on a roll after adding a 2-0 victory Wednesday against SUNY-Oswego to bolster its record to 3–0 for the start of the fall season.

In a primarily defensive game on both ends, the Bombers’ double-teaming, communication, stopping and passing made for a success against the Lakers. The shots on goal almost equaled out with the Bombers at 21 and the Lakers at 18.

Sophomore forward Amber Foose said the difference between winning and losing came down to composure in the circle.

“Our positioning was really good in the circle,” Foose said. “We definitely were ready for the ball.”

The first half was equally split, with each team getting used to how the other plays. The momentum was split evenly between both sides until junior forward Lindsay Flanagan gained the lead for the Blue and Gold with an unassisted goal off of a rebound.

As the second half began, the Bombers learned from their mistakes and raised the intensity by scoring within the first five minutes. Junior midfielder Emily Lash made a cross pass from the right side of the field to senior forward Julia Conroy. Conroy finished the score from five yards in front of the goal. Head Coach Tracy Houk said she was more pleased with her team’s effort in the second half.

“We came off a little flat and we did a nice job pulling it together,” Houk said. “It was about gaining that momentum in the first half and keeping that momentum in the second half.”

The intensity was up in the second half for the Lakers, too. They dominated the Bombers’ defensive circle. However, SUNY-Oswego Head Coach Brandy Lusk said the Lakers were unable to maintain enough focus to put together a rally.

“We had some excellent opportunities, but the times we lost our composure we made silly mental mistakes that ultimately cost us the game,” Lusk said. “But if you saw this team a couple days ago, we have improved so much.”

The South Hill squad’s next home game is at noon Saturday at Higgins Stadium against Wellesley College.

$1495
$2000