$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Football: Bombers drop 34–10 decision to reigning conference champions

The football team fell to 4–2 on the season, losing 34–10 to St. John Fisher College Saturday. The Bombers’ defense gave up 478 yards, including 362 yards passing by Fisher senior quarterback Tim Bailey who paced the Cardinals’ offense with four touchdown passes.

The Bombers struggled offensively, finding the end zone only once in five red-zone trips. Senior quarterback Rob Zappia felt the pressure from the Cardinals’ defense all game, completing just 26 of 49 passes for 226 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions.

Zappia was sacked five times and the running game was unable to get going as the offensive line was overpowered by the Cardinals’ front seven.

For the second time in three games the Blue and Gold were held to negative rushing yards, rushing 22 times for -7 yards.

Fisher, as the reigning Empire 8 conference champions and ranked 20th in the country, overmatched the South Hill squad.

Bailey was key in Fisher’s offense, completing 23 of 36 passes to five different receivers, including nine to junior Ryan Schmidt who led all receivers with 160 yards.

For the second consecutive week, the Bombers’ secondary was exposed after giving up 377 yards in last week’s game against Hartwick College.

The Bombers fell behind early and went into halftime behind 20-3. Zappia, after driving the Bombers to the 2–yard line on their opening drive of the second half, threw an interception in the end zone, ending any chance of a Blue and Gold comeback.

The Bombers have their bye-week next week and will return to action against Springfield College at 1 p.m. October 24th at Butterfield Stadium.

$1495
$2000