$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

IC men’s lacrosse opens season with big victory over Lycoming

MANYA MARGOT/THE ITHACAN
Senior midfielder Grant Osadchey blocks Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute junior midfielder Oliver Kaija in the Bombers 14–9 win on March 5 at Higgins Stadium. Osadchey picked up two ground balls and won four face-offs.

The nationally-ranked Ithaca College men’s lacrosse team opened up its 2017 campaign March 1 with dominant 19–2 win on the road against Lycoming College.

The Bombers, who entered the season ranked number four in the country by the USILA, wasted no time getting their offense rolling this season, rattling off 19 goals from 32 shots on net.

Senior attack Jack Shumway started the scoring for the Bombers, ripping home an unassisted goal just 31 seconds into the game.

It was then when the floodgates opened on Lycoming, as the Bombers netted nine more goals in the first quarter. Four more of these goals from Shumway, two from sophomore attack Will Witter and one apiece for junior attack Kaelan Fitzpatrick and sophomore attack Owen Smith.

The Bombers offensive firepower continued into the second quarter, with five more Bombers getting in on the action to extend the lead to 17–0 going into halftime.

After a scoreless third quarter, freshman Doug Hill snagged his first collegiate career goal to put the South Hill squad up 18–0.

Lycoming pulled two goals back as junior midfielder Garrett Huff went solo both times to cut the Bomber lead down to 18–2.

However, the nail was driven into the coffin in the fourth quarter when the freshman connection of Kevin Enos to Dan Lee led to a 19th Blue and Gold goal to seal the win.

Shumway led the team with six goals on the day, while sophomore midfielder Josh Della Puca added three goals to go along with three assists.

Junior defensemen Winston Wenham and Keith Morrissey led a stalwart defense that forced 22 turnovers and corralled 37 ground balls.

Senior midfielder and faceoff specialist Grant Osadchey won 16 faceoffs of 17 attempts.

Senior goaltender Jack Deragon recorded four saves and only surrendered two goals on the day.

The Bombers next game sees No. 12 RPI come to the South Hill at 1p.m. March 4 in Higgins Stadium, a rematch of last season’s game which saw the Engineers defeat the Bombers 8–7.

$1375
$2000