•  

September 25, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Sports

IC wrestling continues dominance with victory over Wilkes

The Ithaca College wrestling team continued its dominance Feb. 10 when it defeated Wilkes University in a come-from-behind fashion 34–12. This was also the senior meet for the Bombers, and they honored their 9 graduating wrestlers before the match.

Senior Jimmy Kaishian had one of the toughest matches of the night, as he was facing senior Guesseppe Rea, the No. 2 wrestler in the country. Kaishian, the No. 8 ranked wrestler in the country, came out on top 9–7.

Freshman Tito Colom and junior Chris Wymer both lost their matches to give Wilkes a lead. Freshman Sammy Schneider defeated Wilkes freshman Kyle Medrow 19–4.

Sophomore Jawan Jones lost to Wilkes junior Nicholas Racanelli to give Wilkes a 12–8 lead. Senior Carlos Toribio; juniors Nick Velez and Jaison White; sophomores Jake Ashcraft, Demetri D’Orsaneo and Jake O’Brien; and freshman Ben Brisman won sevenstraight matches for the Bombers. These victories propelled the Bombers to a 34–12 win.

The wrestling team will battle SUNY Cortland at 6 p.m. Feb. 15 in Cortland. This will be the Bombers final duel meet of the season, as they will head to NCAA Regionals on Feb. 25–26 and the NCAA Championships on March 10–11.

Danielle Allentuck can be reached at dallentuck@ithaca.edu or via Twitter: @d_allentuck