$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Men’s and Women’s Swimming: Blue and Gold dominate RPI

Senior Jake Lichter competes in the 100-yard breaststroke during the men’s swimming and diving team’s 203-95 victory against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Saturday. Lichter won the event with a time of 1:02.06.
Amelia Marino/The Ithacan

The men’s and women’s swimming teams both defeated the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Engineers on Saturday by a wide margin at the swimming and diving meet at the Aquatic Pavilion in the Athletics and Events Center.

The Bombers’ men’s team scored 203 points to RPI’s 95, and the women’s score was 199 to 95 in favor of the South Hill squad.

On the women’s side, the Bombers won 12 out of the 15 events and had two multi-event winners. Senior Carly Jones won the 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard butterfly, while junior Elizabeth Gawrys won the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard freestyle.

Senior Kelly Higgins said the victory showed how strong the Bombers could be coming off fall break and their first week of double session practices.

“We all swam really well even though we were all exhausted from hard practices,” Higgins said. “We learned we have the ability to push through and get the win.”

The men’s team won 14 out of the 15 events and also featured two multi-event winners. Sophomore Clement Towner won the 500-yard freestyle and the 1000-yard freestyle. Junior Taylor Van Cott won the 200-yard individual medley and 100 and 200-yard butterfly races.

Towner said the strong performances from the newest members of the team are encouraging for the rest of the South Hill squad’s season.

“We’re training hard and have great energy from the freshmen, which makes everyone better,” Towner said.

$1375
$2000