$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Men’s lacrosse team opens season with dominant win

The nationally ranked No. 18 Ithaca College men’s lacrosse team kicked off its season with a dominant win over Marywood University on Feb. 27, winning by a score of 16–4. This is the sixth consecutive season the Bombers have started of their year with a win.

The first quarter was tightly contested, as neither team were able to build an offensive rhythm or lead by more than one goal at any point in the quarter. The Blue and Gold did strike first though, with their inaugural goal of the season scored by freshman midfielder Josh Della Puca one minute and 24 seconds into the game. The Pacers tied up the score five minutes later when senior attack Stephen Deiner netted his first goal of the year.

The Pacers took their only lead of the game with five minutes remaining in the first quarter, off of a goal from sophomore attack Matt Casto. The Bombers tied the game at two after a goal from sophomore midfield Stephen Morrell to end the first period of play.

The South Hill squad found its stride in the second quarter, outscoring the Pacers 8–1 to take a 10–3 lead into halftime. Junior captain John Januszkiewicz scored six of his team-leading seven goals this quarter, along with two more from junior attack Jack Shumway, who had three altogether.

In the third quarter, the Bombers netted four more goals, one each from Januszkiewicz, Shumway, Puca and sophomore attack Jake Cotton. The team only gave up one goal to the Pacers, making the score after three quarters 14–3.

The Blue and Gold went to some of their reserves in the fourth quarter because of their big lead, including subbing out two-time Empire 8 goalkeeper of the year senior Scott Sidnam for junior Jack Deragon.  The team still managed to score two more goals, by sophomore attack Kaelan Fitzpatrick and freshman midfielder Brendan King. The Pacers were also able to score their fourth goal of the game off of a scoop and score from sophomore attack Rob Maini.

The Bombers were able to be so dominant because of their ability to maintain possession of the ball, recovering 38 ground balls compared to 29 by the Pacers. The Blue and Gold also took 52 shots in the game, compared to only 15 from the Pacers.

The Bombers next game is their home opener at 4 p.m. March 2 against Lycoming College in Higgins Stadium.

$1375
$2000