$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Men’s tennis competes in ITA Northeast Regional Tournament

CONNOR LANGE/THE ITHACAN

The Ithaca College men’s tennis team competed in its last match of its fall season last weekend. The Bombers sent five members to Hobart College for the 2016 ITA Northeast Regional Tournament Oct. 1–3.

Freshman Minos Stavrakas continued what has been a great start to his collegiate career by advancing to the quarterfinals. He started the first day with an 8–1 victory over Satchel Fisher from Bard College, followed by a 6–4, 6–4 victory over Juan Felipe Laso from Vassar College.

Stavrakas took on Jack August, who was ranked in the 9-to-16 grouping, from The College of New Jersey in the Round of 16. Stavrakas prevailed, winning 6–2,7–6.

Stavrakas fell in the quarterfinals when he faced the No. 1 overall seed Kai Yuen Leung of Skidmore College. Stavrakas battled, but came up short against Leung, losing 6–3,6–0.

Freshman Liam Spiegel also played in the singles bracket. He fell in the Round of 64 to Thomas Wright of The College of New Jersey 8–2. Senior Nathan Wolf also fell in the Round of 64, losing 8–0 to New York University’s Umberto Setter. Sophomore Michael Gardiner, droped his match 8–1 to second-seeded Nick Litsky of Vassar College.

Gardiner also played a doubles match, teaming up with Stavrakas. They started their afternoon session with an 8–6 victory over Jason Keye and Travis Leaf of Skidmore, in a match moved indoors due to inclement weather. They faced a tough test in the Round of 16, when they faced the fourth-seeded tandem of Mitchel Sanders and Matt Puig of the College of New Jersey. Stavrakas and Gardiner were able to come out with an 8–6 upset.

In the next round, the Bombers duo fell 8–3 against eighth-seeded Zack Ebenfeld and Sebastian Castillo-Sanchez of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The loss eliminated the Bombers from the tourname

Spiegel combined with junior Lorenzo Viguie-Ramos as the second doubles tandem, but fell to University of Rochester’s Andrew Nunno and Sam Leeman 8–0 in the opening round.

The team will return to action when it kicks off its traditional season in the spring.

$1495
$2000