$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Softball: Blue and Gold finish 4—5 on road trip to begin season

Bombers begin road trip winning two games out of three

The softball team played nine games in a six-day span at the National Training Center in Clermont, Fla. to begin its season.

The Bombers lost the opening game of their 2012 regular season on Sunday against Emory College by a score of 6-3. The game was shortened to six innings because of rain, and the following game against Washington University was canceled.

The Blue and Gold trailed 4-2 against the Lesley University Lynx heading into the fourth inning the following day, but they rallied for five runs to emerge with a 7-6 victory. Sophomore catcher and third baseman Sydney Folk hit a two-run home run to spark the offense. Sophomore pitcher Sam Bender picked up the win and sophomore pitcher Jillian Olmstead earned the save.

In the second game of the day, the Bombers built an early 2-0 lead in the first inning against University of Wisconsin-Stout and added to that lead when Folk hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth. Despite rallying for two runs in the seventh to cut the score to 3-2, Wisconsin-Stout could not make up the deficit and Olmstead got her first win of the season.

Bombers split doubleheader slate of SUNY-Plattsburgh and Manhattanville College

The Bombers continued play Wednesday losing to SUNY-Plattsburgh 3-2 and  defeating Manhattanville College 5-2. The Blue and Gold trailed going into the fifth inning in both games, but were able to stage a comeback in the second half of the doubleheader.

The Bombers found themselves down 3-0 against the Plattsburgh Cardinals when freshman infielder Francesca Busa hit an RBI double in the top of the fifth inning that scored sophomore outfielder and second baseman Julianne Vincent. Despite a solo home run from junior captain and infielder Molly O’Donnell, the Cardinals held on for a 3-2 victory.

In the second game of the day, the Bombers and Valiants remained scoreless through three innings. The South Hill squad’s bats woke up in the bottom of the fourth inning, as O’Donnell hit a double and later scored on a hit by sophomore outfielder Rachel Dell’Orto.

The Blue and Gold opened the gap with a four-run fifth inning, as O’Donnell knocked in two runs on a hit. The insurance was enough, as the Bombers went on to win 5-2.

Olmstead picked up her second win in as many days after pitching four innings of scoreless softball.

South Hill squad drops three of final four games during spring break trip

The South Hill squad fell into a 3-0 hole after three innings against Franklin and Marshall College on Thursday. The Bombers’ bats remained quiet until the sixth inning when O’Donnell hit an RBI double for her third hit of the afternoon, which   scored Busa. But the Bombers could not complete the comeback, as the Diplomats held on for a 3-1 victory.

The Bombers collected just two hits against Monmouth College in the second game Thursday. The Fighting Scots were plagued by their play in the field, committing four errors.

Bender shut down the Fighting Scots, allowing two runs on two hits and striking out six. The Bombers got their runs off two RBI hits from junior first baseman Carianne D’Alessandro in the second and fifth innings.

After Monmouth fought back to score a run in the seventh, Bender got Monmouth senior catcher Lauren Bergstresser to fly out to left field with the bases loaded to end the game.

After pitching a complete game Thursday, Bender stepped right back into the circle again yesterday to face the Keene State College Owls. Bender threw 7 1/3 scoreless innings and allowed only two hits.

Dell’Orto’s first-inning was the only hit of the day for the Bombers. After the Blue and Gold could not score in the top of the eighth inning, Owls freshman third baseman Samantha Nitso was able to steal second base and eventually score on a throwing error by junior catcher Lindsey Johnson.

In the final game in Clermont, Fla., the Bombers took an early 1-0 lead against Messiah College in the bottom of the third inning on Dell’Orto’s RBI single. This was the last time the Bombers held the lead, as the Falcons exploded for 19 hits to go on to win by a score of 12-1.

The Blue and Gold return home to Kostrinsky Field for their first home game of the 2012 regular season when they face SUNY-Old Westbury in a doubleheader that begins at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

$1495
$2000