$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Weekend preview: Teams prepare for third weekend of competition

PATRICIA ABURTO/THE ITHACAN
Sophomore forward Sam Robinson dribbles away from a SUNY Farmingdale defender Sept. 11. The women’s soccer team will host the Upstate Collegiate Cup Sept. 17–18 at Carp Wood Field.

As fall sports teams enter their third week of competition, the goal is to find their strides before their seasons heat up.

The volleyball team kicks off the weekend Sept. 16–17, when it travels to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for the F&M Scramble, in which it will face Carnegie Mellon University and Stevenson University on the first day and Franklin & Marshall College and Eastern University on the second day. The Blue and Gold are 7–2 so far this season and have won six straight matches.

On Sept. 17 the men’s and women’s cross-country teams will travel to Rochester, New York, for the U of R YellowJacket Invite. The men’s team will look to build upon its fourth-place finish in the Hamilton College Short Course Invite on Sept. 10, while the women’s team will try to continue its success after finishing in first place at the Hamilton College Short Course Invite.

Coming off of its bye week, the football team plans to improve its record to 2–0 this season as it hits the road to take on No. 25 Hobart College under the lights at 7 p.m. Sept. 17. The Bombers squeaked out a 14–9 win over Union College to begin the season and look to improve as Empire 8 play approaches.

The women’s soccer team is hoping to continue its undefeated start to the season Sept. 17–18 when it hosts the Upstate Collegiate Cup. The South Hill squad will take on SUNY Cortland in the first round and will subsequently face either William Smith College or the University of Rochester.

The Bloomsburg Invitational is the name of the game for the men’s tennis team Sept. 17 as it tries to continue a strong start to its season. It had four singles and one double advance in the St. Lawrence Fall Classic the previous weekend.

The field hockey team will take the field Sept. 17 in Hoboken, New Jersey, with the hopes of going above .500 against the Stevens Institute of Technology. The Bombers won their last game 3–0 against Utica College.

Junior Indiana Jones will look to lead the golf team to a victory against William Smith College in its first head-to-head match of the season.

The men’s soccer team will look to improve its record to 3–3 this season Sept. 18 when it hosts Stevens Institute of Technology in the Bombers’ first Empire 8 matchup of the year. The Bombers have won two straight games with a combined score of 6–0.

Finally, the women’s tennis team will attempt to continue its dominance over the Empire 8 on Sept. 18 when it hosts Alfred University.

Full weekend game schedule:

• Volleyball will be playing in the F&M Scramble Sept. 16–17 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. At 2 p.m. Sept. 16, they will play Carnegie Mellon University, followed by Stevenson University at 6 p.m. The next day, they will face off against Franklin & Marshall College at noon and Eastern University at 2 p.m.
  • Men’s and women’s cross-country will run in the U of R Yellowjacket Invite at 11 a.m. Sept. 17 in Rochester, New York.
  • Football will play on the road against Hobart College at 7 p.m. Sept. 17 in Geneva, New York.
  • Women’s soccer will host the Upstate Collegiate Cup Sept. 17–18 at Carp Wood Field. At 11 a.m. Sept. 17, they will play SUNY Cortland. They will play either William Smith or the University of Rochester at 2 p.m. Sept. 18.
  • Men’s tennis will play in the Bloomsburg Invitational at 9 a.m. Sept. 17–18 in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.
  • Field hockey will play against Stevens Institute of Technology 1 p.m. Sept. 17 in Hoboken, New Jersey.
  • Golf will match up against William Smith College Sept. 17–18 in Geneva, New York.
  • Men’s soccer will host the Stevens Institute of Technology at noon Sept. 18 at Carp Wood Field.
  • Women’s tennis will host Alfred University at 11 a.m. Sept. 18 at Ben Wheeler Tennis Courts.
$1495
$2000