$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Women’s basketball drops first game of the season to Montclair

The women’s basketball team kicked off its 2015–16 campaign with a road loss against No. 12–ranked Montclair State University 77–62 on Nov. 15 in Montclair, New Jersey.  

The Blue and Gold ended the first half leading 31–30 over the Red Hawks, but were outscored 47–31 in the second half, giving Montclair State the 15-point win.  

Junior forward Erin Ferguson led the Bombers’ offensive effort with 16 points, while senior guard Keri Steele collected eight rebounds. Junior guard Ali Ricchiuti, the leading scorer from last season, played 36 minutes, but only scored 10 points on the day.

Ricchiuti’s shooting was a microcosm for her whole team as the South Hill squad shot a measly 29 percent from the field and only 10.3 percent from the 3-point line. The Bombers also missed nine free throws en route to their loss.

Montclair State’s leading scorers were guards Kayla Ceballos and Katie Sire with 19 points each.  Sire also led her team in rebounds with 17. Unlike the Bombers, the Red Hawks were able to score from the outside, as they hit eight of 17 shots from long range.

The Bombers will look for their first win when they hit the hardwood 6 p.m. Nov. 18 against SUNY New Paltz in New Paltz, New York.

$1375
$2000