$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Women’s lacrosse flies past Golden Eagles in season opener

ANA GAVILANES
From left, Golden Eagles’ first-year student midfielder Journey Naab defends as Bombers’ junior midfielder Lexi Kellish drives towards senior goalkeeper Erin Lant.

The Ithaca College women’s lacrosse team had their season opener Feb. 26 at Higgins Stadium against the SUNY Brockport Golden Eagles. The Bombers remained dominant throughout both halves of the game and finished with a 15–5 win. 

Within the first two minutes of the first quarter, first-year student defender Phoebe Hosford made her debut on the team by playing a critical role in defending the goal. Hosford remained strong throughout the rest of the quarters as well, as her speed allowed her to carry the ball to the offense.

The Golden Eagles’ defense was not as strong as it should have been. They easily let the Bombers get through, widening the chance for them to take a shot. The Bombers’ quick ball movement allowed for holes in the defense that the Bombers were able to capitalize on.

Junior goalkeeper Lexi Held had five saves on the matchup and played a strong leadership role on the field, instructing the defensive players where to be and who needs to be guarded. Held started the first three quarters before senior goalkeeper Kayla Howley took over in the final frame. 

Junior midfielder Caroline Wise truly stood out in the competition. As a draw specialist, Wise utilized her center position to distribute the ball in the midfield and be where her teammates needed. 

Wise, who notched an impressive seven draw-controls throughout the game, said that her team found success through staying connected. 

“I thought we did a great job [playing] as a team,” Wise said. “We came out intensely, and I think we even surprised ourselves a little bit with how aggressive we were and how well we communicated.”

Wise led the team with four goals, trailed closely by junior attacker Chloe Nordyke, who tallied three. 

The Bombers’ defense remained strong in the final two quarters, managing to hold the Golden Eagles to one goal throughout the second half of the game.

The Bombers will return to action when they take on the No. 13 SUNY Cortland Red Dragons at 4 p.m. March 1 at Higgins Stadium.

$1495
$2000