$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Women’s Soccer: Bombers trounce Soaring Eagles to open conference play

It only took 30 seconds for the women’s soccer team to separate itself from Elmira College in a 6-0 shutout Wednesday afternoon.

Senior forward Rachael Palladino scored her 51st career goal in the opening seconds of the Bombers’ home opener after receiving a long midfield pass from senior defender Anna Gray. Palladino later went on to score another goal in the 60th minute.

Fellow senior and starting forward Ellyn Grant-Keane, said the Bombers were excited to play the first game of the year at home. She said the team is practicing ways to start every game firing on all cylinders.

“We have been working this season to come out the first five minutes of the game and score a goal,” she said. “We were all energized and fired up the entire game.”

While Elmira goalkeeper Megan Lowe was struggling with a bombardment of shots, the Bombers’ senior goalkeeper Becca Salant needed to make only one save in 70 minutes of play.

The Bombers were able to get production from their bench. Sophomore midfielder Jessie Warren and freshman Libby McNamara notched their first career goals.

After the game, Head Coach Mindy Quigg said she was happy with the passing and scoring execution, but she believes the team will face more difficult challenges down the road.

“We haven’t played a team that’s better than us yet,” she said. “SUNY-Potsdam is an add-on this year, so we’re not entirely sure what to expect from them on Saturday.”

The South Hill squad, which is now 5–0 to start the 2012 season, will square off against the SUNY-Potsdam Bears at 1 p.m. Saturday on Carp Wood Field.

$1495
$2000