$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Women’s soccer squad extends winning streak to six games

Junior+defender+Aimee+Chimera+passes+the+ball+up+the+field+during+the+womens+soccer+game+Oct.+17+at+Carp+Wood+Field.+
Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan
Junior defender Aimee Chimera passes the ball up the field during the women’s soccer game Oct. 17 at Carp Wood Field.

After a big win over Empire 8 competitor St. John Fisher College on Oct. 17, the women’s soccer team extended its winning streak to six games with a 4–0 win over the Elmira College Eagles on Oct. 20 in Elmira, New York. With this victory, the Bombers improve to 10–3–1 on the season and 5–0–1 in the Empire 8 conference.

The Bombers were able to open up the scoring early on in the competition nine minutes into the game. Senior forward Sarah Woychick capitalized with an unassisted shot from outside the box into the upper left hand corner of the net and just over Elmira goalie Gabe Carmona.

Just over 10 minutes later, senior forward Kelsey King tallied her seventh goal of the season with an unassisted rip from the 18-yard box into the upper right hand corner of the net.

Shortly after, junior forward Jocelyn Ravesi was substituted for classmate Holly Niemiec. The substitution proved to be beneficial for the Bombers as Ravesi tallied the third goal of the match off a deflection from a defender from King’s shot, who was given the assist.

After halftime, the Bombers came out strong yet again with a goal at the 50-minute mark from King. It was King’s team-leading eighth goal of the season.

Coming off being named Empire 8 Defensive Player of the Week last week, senior goalie Beth Coppolecchia played a strong game in net for the Bombers with nine saves. Carmona also recorded nine saves in the game for the Eagles.

The Blue and Gold outshot Elmira 27–13 in the match.

The South Hill squad will return to the pitch to take on the Nazareth College Golden Flyers at noon on Oct. 24 in Rochester, New York, for a battle of first place in the Empire 8 conference.

$1375
$2000