$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Women’s soccer team wins in overtime against Nazareth

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY AVERI PARECE

The Ithaca College women’s soccer team defeated the Nazareth College Golden Flyers 1–0 Nov. 5 in an overtime thriller of its Empire 8 semifinal game.

Through the first half, the game was closely contested.  The Bombers were able to get off four shots while holding Nazareth to just five. Goalkeeper Stacey DiGiorgio was also able to rack up three saves in the half as well.

The Bombers were able to control the ball for most of the second half, but did not have much to show for it. Although the South Hill squad averages 21.9 shot attempts per game, they only put up two in the second half. However, the Bombers were able to earn themselves five corner kicks in the half. After a controversial play on a potential handball at the end of the second half which was not called for, the game went to overtime.

The Bombers came out with a new drive in the overtime period. In just four minutes of overtime action, the team took two shots and earned a corner kick. In the 95th minute, senior midfielder Taylor Baranowsky scored the game winner off a header from a cross by senior Jocelyn Ravesi, ending Nazareth’s streak of 10 straight shutouts.

In the end, the Bombers took a total of eight shots and earned six corner kicks. DiGiorgio finished the game with five saves and walked away with her 11th win of the season.

This win brings the Bombers to the Empire 8 Tournament final against Stevens Institute of Technology. Stevens, the No. 1 seed in the tournament, finished their season with an 8–0 conference record.

The Empire 8 final game will be played at 1 p.m. Nov. 6 in Hoboken, New Jersey.

$1495
$2000