$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Wrestling team loses third match by criteria this season

Freshman Carlos Toribio grapples with freshman Ben Schweiger of Delaware Valley College on Feb.1 in Ben Light Gymnasium.
Jennifer Williams/The Ithacan

For the third time this season, the wrestling team lost on a tie-break decision. With a final score of 18–18, the Blue and Gold were defeated 19–18 because of a pin in the 125-pound weight class.

The Bombers fell to Delaware Valley College on Feb. 1 at Ben Light Gymnasium to make their overall record 8–4.

Coach Marty Nichols said he was frustrated that the team had its third tie-breaking loss.

“Everything comes in threes, so I’m hoping that this is it,” he said. “It comes down to the close matches. I thought we had the guy pinned at 197, and I thought we had a takedown at 184, but their guys battled hard and came back. We were right there. We just need that little bit extra. We need to keep pushing.”

To begin the event, Delaware Valley’s junior Zac Haynes pinned junior Anthony Cabrera in 2:16, competing in the 125-pound weight class.

The Bombers won their three next matches. In the 133-pound weight class, junior Alex Gomez defeated sophomore Connor Kirkegard, 16–5. Freshman Nick Wahba continued the winning streak, defeating junior David Davidson at 141 pounds, 14–2. Sophomore Eamonn Gaffney gained his victory against freshman Sekou Harris at 149 pounds.

During Wahba’s match, quick injuries from Davidson stopped his momentum. Wahba said it’s all about having the mentality to continue wrestling when an opponent gets injured.

“Sometimes keeping momentum going is the hard part,” he said. “I have good coaches and good teammates to keep me going. It’s all mental.”

Junior Kevin Collins claimed defeat against senior Emmanuel Ajagbe in the 157-pound weight class. At 165 pounds, number two National Wrestling Coaches Association-ranked junior Kristopher Schimek defeated senior Alec Horan by decision, 9–0. Freshman Carlos Toribio also claimed a win at 174 pounds in a hard fought match. Facing fatigue, Toribio said mental strength is an important factor.

“I just haven’t been able to wrestle at my best, but you just deal with it,” Toribio said. “It’s all about mental toughness.”

In the final three bouts, Delaware Valley was able to claim victory. Freshman Liam Korbul fought a hard match, earning a takedown with one minute remaining but was not given points for a fall. Delaware Valley’s junior Connor Gabriel earned the win with a 6–5 decision. Sophomore Zach Connor nearly pinned Delaware Valley’s junior Aaron Karns but lost by decision, 10–7.

Rounding out the event in the heavyweight class, Bombers senior Shane Bartrum fell to freshman Zach Roseberry, 3–2.

The Blue and Gold return to action at noon Feb. 8 in Oneonta, N.Y., to take on Wesleyan University.

$1375
$2000