$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College Briefs Feb. 2

Leila Marcillo-Gómez
From left, Cornell University sophomore Ethan Lau and Ithaca College senior Ellen Chapman play on the same team during the Frozone ultimate frisbee tournament bringing both colleges together to celebrate the sport Jan. 28.

New Students and Transition Programs hosts Winterfest 2023

Ithaca College’s Winterfest 2023 will take place from 5 to 8 p.m. Feb. 2 in Emerson Suites. Winterfest is for first-year and transfer students looking to connect with other students on campus. There will be games, like Mario Kart and board games, as well as a cornhole tournament. First place in the tournament will receive a $100 gift card per teammate for the campus store. Second place will receive a $50 gift card per teammate for GrubHub. Third place will receive a college swag bag. In addition to the games, there will be virtual reality painting, karaoke, free food, a photo booth and more. Students are encouraged to RSVP. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact New Student and Transition Programs at [email protected] or 607-274-1908.

Center for Career Exploration and Development hosts events

The Center for Career Exploration and Development has been hosting a series of career development events in conjunction with other offices and centers on campus. The last two events of the week are the Intercultural Career Connections Panel and Networking, which will be held from 12:10 to 1 p.m. Feb. 2 in Clark Lounge, and Seldom Herd Job Search Strategies from 12 to 1 p.m. Feb. 3 in Muller 101. Students have the option of registering ahead of time on IC Engage or dropping in. Some of the past events of the series included Open House and Information Sessions, Career and Internship Fair and Steer Your Career: Guidance for the First Generation College Student. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact [email protected] or call 607-274-3365

History professor to celebrate new book launch with event

Michael Trotti, professor in the Department of History, will host an event in honor of the launch of his new book, “The End of Public Execution.” The celebration will be at 3 p.m. Feb. 4 at Buffalo Street Books in Dewitt Mall. The event is focused on the intersection of the death penalty’s history and race and religion in the southern U.S.

Office of Student Engagement to host meet and network event

The Office of Student Engagement’s (OSE) Student Organization Specialists (SOS) are hosting a brunch and networking event from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30p.m. Feb. 5 in Clark Lounge. At the event, leadership teams of the college’s Student Organizations will be able to meet and work together with each other. SOS will present resources that OSE offers to student organizations and clubs and will also provide tips about management and event planning. Food will be provided at the event. Participants requiring accommodations must contact [email protected].

Izzy Awards accepting award nominations and applications

The Izzy Awards, awarded by the Park Center for Independent Media (PCIM) to high-achieving independent journalists, is accepting nominations until 12 a.m. Feb. 3. Eligible work for nominations includes stories that have not been published by popular or established media companies. Nominations must be sent to Raza Rumi, director of the PCIM, at [email protected] and have to include a written explanation of no more than 350 words answering why a submission should be considered for the award. In addition to this, nominations also need to include five attachments, including links, of relevant published work.

Center for IDEAS and Students of Color Coalition host event

The Center for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Social Change (IDEAS) and the Students of Color Coalition are hosting a community building event called First Friday: BIPOC Kickback Event from 5 to 8 p.m. Feb. 3 at the Fitness Center. The event is a part of the Center for IDEAS’ First Friday events that are held every month, on the first Friday of the month. Food will be provided and various student organizations will be present at the event to talk about their respective organizations. Pulse Hip Hop, the college’s hip-hop dance group, will perform and there will also be music by DJs from Washburn Entertainment. Student organizations and clubs that are interested in participating or presenting at the event can do so by scanning the QR code on the event poster. Students needing accommodations must contact [email protected].

Hillel to celebrate to celebrate Tu B’shevat by planting succulents

Hillel at Ithaca College will be celebrating Tu B’shevat by planting succulents for students to take home. Students will also have the opportunity to learn more about Judaism. The event will be at 7 p.m. Feb. 6 in the Center for Natural Sciences, room 202. Tu B’shevat is the Jewish new year for trees and is celebrated currently as a day of environmental awareness. Participants should contact [email protected] for accommodation requests and questions.

CIS Abroad to host study abroad program information session

CIS Abroad, a study abroad program that is affiliated with Ithaca College, will organize an information session from 12:10 to 1:05 p.m. Feb. 7 in Friends Hall, room 201. CIS Abroad offers affiliated programs in Italy, Scotland, Thailand and Japan. There are additional location options through non-affiliated programs. Information on the difference between affiliate and non-affiliate programs, and information on the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 programs, is available on the college’s Terra Dotta site. Questions and accommodations regarding this event, should be directed to [email protected].

IC Unbound Company organizes dance auditions for Spring 2023

IC Unbound, Ithaca College’s biggest dance company, will hold auditions for Spring 2023 at 7:45 p.m. Feb. 5 in the Fitness Center. Interested students will be able to choose the kind of dance techniques, like jazz and contemporary, and will be able to choose which dance style they want to audition for. Students will also have to select the number of hours per week that they wish to dance. Audtionees will find out which dance style they have been selected for on the night of the auditions itself. Selected dancers will be expected to attend weekly rehearsals taking place every Sunday. Students requiring accommodations should contact [email protected].

$1495
$2000