$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Review: A character study that has some shortcomings

From acting in numerous Marvel films and shows like “Fresh Off the Boat” to now making his directorial debut, Randall Park is the latest actor-turned-director to showcase his versatility in the filmmaking industry.

Adapted from Adrian Tomine’s graphic novel of the same name, “Shortcomings” follows a tumultuous time period in avid film lover  — and unsuccessful filmmaker —  Ben’s life. When his girlfriend, Miko (Ally Maki), moves away to New York City for three months for an internship, he begins exploring relationships with other women as he tries to discover what he really wants out of life. The true beating heart of this messy film, however, is Ben’s friendship with Alice (Sherry Cola) and their hilarious, down-to-earth conversations.

If there’s one thing that is immediately clear to the viewer, it’s that Ben is meant to be an insanely unlikable character. His view on life is exclusively pessimistic, refusing to accept or embrace any kind of valuable change. It’s always commendable to see independent films like this commit to having messy characters that constantly make mistakes because that is very much the nature of life. Min deserves many kudos for bringing Ben to life through all of his obvious flaws.

However, where “Shortcomings” falls short is in not fully making Ben an interesting and engaging enough character to watch. Park’s approach can feel quite one-note as a character study in watching Ben’s self-loathing spiral into all of his faltering relationships in life — especially during the second act. The point of his character becomes quite clear and overstated. The story finally finds its footing and sense of purpose in the third act, bringing its exploration of identity to a place of profound and unexpected catharsis.

Overall, “Shortcomings” is a solid debut boasting some great performances along the way, even if it never quite makes as engaging of a character study as it should be.Just