$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Men’s soccer rebounds for win over Wilkes

Nolan Saunders
From left, first-year forward Landon Kelly looks on while Bombers’ graduate student defender Brendan Lebitsch pushes upfield.

The Ithaca College men’s soccer team faced the Wilkes University Colonels on Sept. 4 at Carp Wood Field. The Bombers were in control throughout the game and came up on top 5–0 to improve their record to 1–0–1.

The Bombers had junior midfielder Connor Tierney and first-year defender Gustav Bauerle coming back from injuries and both were incorporated in the starting lineup.

The Bombers started the game in control of possession with junior defender Ikey Borden getting two shot attempts within the first ten minutes of play. Although, it didn’t take long for the Colonels to strike back, getting the ball within the Bombers’ penalty box. However, graduate student defender Brendan Lebitsch was able to take the ball away and clear it downfield for the Bombers.

It took a while, but the first bit of action happened at the 25th minute when the Bombers got a free kick. First-year forward Leo Morris was able to score the Bombers’ first goal of the season off the free kick, angling a shot to the corner of the goal making the score 1–0. Not even five minutes later, Borden was able to score a goal off of an assist by Tierney during the 28th minute to make the score 2–0.

The Colonels struck back, getting a shot toward the middle of the goal, but it was saved by sophomore goalie Johannes Berghahn. It didn’t take much longer for the Bombers to capitalize on another one of the opponent’s fouls. During the 32nd minute, senior midfielder Reefe Harrison was able to give a through ball assist to sophomore midfielder Drew Warren, who shot the ball past the opposing goalkeeper graduate student Nick Kinzler to make the score 3–0. Shortly after during the 42nd minute, sophomore forward Nathan Waychoff was able to shoot a screaming shot bottom left that deflected off of the opposing goalie into the goal. The Bombers ended the half up 4–0

The deciding factor at half seemed to be the number of fouls. The Bombers were able to capitalize on the Colonel’s eight fouls while only having three as a team.

The second half got off to a slow start with the only bit of action being Lebitsch’s yellow card at the 50th minute of play. The two teams pushed the ball to each other’s side of the field but each team couldn’t capitalize. The Bombers got a good opportunity in the 61st minute when Borden juked around the defender but couldn’t get his shot in which veered to the left.

In the 67th minute, first-year midfielder Jack Nelson was able to spin around two defenders to score an unassisted goal. The shot made the score 5–0. The next bit of action happened in the 80th minute with Nelson picking up a yellow card. Shortly after, junior midfielder Jake Trinchetto picked up a yellow card in the 82nd minute which led to a close free kick for the Colonels. The shot was in the low left direction but was saved by Berghahn. The remainder of the game remained calm with not much action.

After the game, Lebitsch said that it took the team just a bit to get rolling after their last game against SUNY Fredonia. However, the team had more momentum with the return of previously injured players.

“We had a tough first game against Fredonia, getting into a groove,” Lebitsch said. “We got Gustav [Bauerle] and [Connor] Tierney back today. Huge part for us. Huge impact right away getting the start today and then, once you get momentum, you get a lot of guys just putting in a ton of work today. There’s a lot to prove for us after last season, so it was really good out of the group and a way to just keep going.”

The Bombers will take their talents on the road against Misericordia University at 7 p.m. Sept. 7 in Dallas, Pennsylvania.