$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Women’s soccer blanks Knights in 5–0 shutout

Maddy Dombrow
Senior defender Clare Sunderland celebrates during the Ithaca College women’s soccer team’s 5–0 victory over Mount Saint Mary College.

The Ithaca College women’s soccer team delivered another dominant performance at Carp Wood field on Sept. 6, completing a 5–0 victory against the Mount Saint Mary College Knights.

The Bombers started the match off with solid ball movement leading to two early corner kicks within the first five minutes of the match. The Bombers would continue to keep pressure on the Knights’ defense throughout the first half, which resulted in a great chance in a breakaway for Senior midfielder Kaitlyn Weis in the 11th minute, but she could not convert against the Knights’ keeper. 

The chances would keep coming for the Bombers who would net their first goal in the 16th minute off the foot of senior midfielder Ally Stanton, assisted by senior forward Rosie Bostian. This was Stanton’s second goal of the season, putting the Bombers up 1–0. 

In the 32nd minute of the game, Mount Saint Mary’s first-year student goalkeeper Elizabeth Lennane was injured on a shot attempt and left the game. Coming out of the injury stoppage, the Knights showed pressure on the attack, but the Bombers defense was able to keep them quiet and off the scoreboard. 

As the first half wound down, the Bombers kept pressure in the attacking end and left the first half with 10 shots on goal.

Coming out of halftime, the Bombers continued to look strong on the attack. In the 49th minute, junior defender Rachel Hersch scored the Bombers’ second goal of the game as well as her first of the season making it 2–0. 

The scoring would continue from there with two goals coming within minutes of each other. sophomore forward Kaelyn Fernandez made it 3–0 with her second goal of the season in the 65th minute. The Bombers would strike again with a goal by sophomore midfielder Devin Sylvia in the 66th minute. Assisted by junior midfielder Carrie Davis, this was Sylvia’s second of the season putting the Bombers up by a score of 4–0.  

Down the stretch, there would be plenty of contact from the Bombers, which allowed the Knights a couple of free kicks in midfield, but their offense was unable to get anything going against the Bombers’ defense. 

In the 76th minute, an own goal by Mount Saint Mary made it 5–0, the final score of the match as the Bombers outshot the Knights 23–0. 

Recording her second clean sheet of the season, junior goalkeeper Grace Hickey said she is proud of the team’s success considering Mount Saint Mary’s aggressive play style

“It’s hard to come out and play a team the way they play,” Hickey said. “[The Knights] play very high pressure. I thought we played well in the second half dealing with that high pressure and ultimately got a good outcome.” 

The Bombers will return home when they take on Lycoming College at 1 p.m. Sept. 10 on Carp Wood Field.