$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

‘The Nun II’ is the bloodier and more gory sister of ‘The Nun’

The+Nun+II+is+an+even+freakier+story+than+The+Nun%2C+following+a+murder+mystery-esque+storyline+into+the+Vatican.+
Warner Bros. Pictures
“The Nun II” is an even freakier story than “The Nun,” following a murder mystery-esque storyline into the Vatican.

Preceding “The Nun II,” director Corin Hardy released the 2018 movie “The Nun,” setting the scene for a banger sequel. When “The Nun” came to theaters, horror fans flocked to see it. Featuring the ancient evil trope, “The Nun” follows Father Burke (Demián Bichir), a priest with a troubled past, and Sister Irene (Taissa Farmiga), a nun-in-training, who are requested by the Vatican to investigate the suicide of a young nun at a Romanian convent. There, they discover a demon roaming the grounds in the manifestation of a nun. 

The pair takes viewers on a thrilling experience filled with haunting jumpscares and nightmarish visuals. Unbeknownst to Sister Irene and Father Burke, “The Nun” left off with one of their allies, Maurice (Jonas Bloquet), also known as Frenchie, getting possessed by the evil which is where “The Nun II” begins.

Released Sept. 7, “The Nun II” hooks viewers in with the opening sequence itself, which is contextualized and tied in coherently later in the movie. The plot only thickens from there, including a dual point-of-view element and an investigative quality to the entire ordeal. The almost-murder mystery take on this classic horror movie trope makes it far more interesting to watch and ensures that the plot does not lack finesse or mystique. The best part about this movie is that the viewer does not necessarily need previous context from the first movie; the storyline beautifully unravels itself with an added layer of intrigue. 

While the overall plot was stellar, some side plots and niche details proved to be confusing and in some cases unnecessary for the development of the movie. For instance, there was a goat demon introduced alongside the demonic nun, and while it added to the scare factor of the movie, it really held no significance to the main storyline. However, it was interesting to see how the small, relevant details tied together at the end of the film, even if there were some plot points left unresolved.

This movie, without a doubt, would not have been the same if Taissa Farmiga and Jonas Bloquet had not been cast for Sister Irene and Maurice, respectively. Farmiga’s emotions were extremely raw and really conveyed a severity and depth in every scene she was present in. She carried a grace and poise about her as well, which contributed to the integrity of her character as a nun. Farmiga seemed calm and sure of herself as she portrayed her character, adding further credence to the fact that Sister Irene had faced this sinister evil before and could face it again. 

Jonas Bloquet undeniably deserves a special mention. His performance as Maurice was extremely well done, and since the movie revolved largely around the possession of his character, his acting served as a strong foundation for the rest of the movie to build upon. Bloquet flawlessly balanced the lighthearted aspects of his character with the haunting aspects, spotlighting his wonderful duality as an actor. Serving as an excellent and dependable casting choice for this role, Bloquet truly elevated the movie to another level.

As for the raw horror aspect of the film, “The Nun II” definitely checks all the boxes for exquisite and creative jumpscares. Some scares were unexpected and quickly flashed in the background, while others were deliberate and superbly incorporated into the movie. “The Nun II” had a perfect balance of both types of jumpscares, keeping viewers on the edge of their seats and on a keen lookout for spooky details. 

Additionally, the dynamics of noises and music worked effectively in manipulating the audience’s emotions, creating drama and edgy silence just where they needed to be. The eerie quiet was key, especially during the more involved jumpscares, and loud, dissonant orchestral chords during chase scenes heightened the tension felt in the moment significantly. 

The lighting, camera angles and motions and special effects really highlighted jumpscares which delivered a complete idea to the audience. By coupling powerful audio with strategic cinematography, “The Nun II” delivered nuanced and effective frights. It should be mentioned that “The Nun II” is a bit more gore-heavy compared to most horror movies. 

There are a few blood-soaked scenes and depictions of body horror that could be unsettling for some viewers, so the movie definitely lives up to its R rating. Tracking with its predecessor, “The Nun II” is a gold mine in terms of terrifying  — albeit more gory and violent —  makeup, special effects and imagery. 

Overall, “The Nun II” proved to be a frightful delight for horror fans. Gripping, chilling and terrifically ghastly, “The Nun II” combined an established plotline with creative jumpscares, nuanced cinematography and marvelous acting to produce a cinematic masterpiece.