$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Slaughter Beach, Dog make a new chill album perfect for roadtrip music

Crying%2C+Laughing%2C+Waving%2C+Smiling+is+Slaughter+Beach%2C+Dogs+most+recent+album.+Their+chill+sound+in+this+album+is+much+different+than+their+heavier+music+theyve+released+in+the+past.+
Stereogum
“Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling” is Slaughter Beach, Dog’s most recent album. Their chill sound in this album is much different than their heavier music they’ve released in the past.

Written over the course of two years while tucked away in the Poconos Mountains, Slaughter Beach, Dog released their seventh album, “Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling” on Sept. 22. Frontman Jake Edwald wrote the album on acoustic guitar before taking his new creations to his bandmates and this acoustic sound still shines through on the final studio album. 

“Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling” has a distinct sound that strays away from Edwald’s start in emo revival band Modern Baseball. The mellow and deeply heartfelt folk-rock sound of the album mixed with Edwald’s songwriting gives a feeling of a slightly chipper Tom Waits. Edwald was, in fact, inspired by songwriters like Waits, Randy Newman and Neil Young. 

Slaughter Beach, Dog has never been particularly hardcore, but “Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling” is particularly soft in comparison to their previous work. The album has an almost country feel at times, mixing well with the band’s quintessential earnest indie-rock sound. Slaughter Beach, Dog has not changed their sound in any way with this new edition to their discography, they have simply enhanced it.

From the slide guitar to drummer Zack Robbins’ percussion, the instrumentals of “Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling” are perfect. Robbin’s drumming helps keep the 10 tracks of the album alive; the beat is steady and lively, giving a wonderful pulse to the entire album. 

Along with Edwald and Rodbins, Slaughter Beach, Dog is made up of Adam Meisterhans on guitar, Ian Farmer on bass and Logan Roth on keyboard. Edwald and Farmer have been working together since the early 2010s, in Modern Baseball.

Slaughter Beach, Dog has been consistently putting out music out music since 2016. Over these past seven years, the group has formed top-notch chemistry and gathered a dedicated fanbase. Together, the five work together seamlessly, putting out beautiful and genuine tracks with every album they release from their studio in Philadelphia, The Metal Shop. This chemistry can especially be heard in the well-polished “Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling.”

One of the most memorable songs on the album is the fourth track, “My Sister in Jesus Christ.” With playful lyrics like, “I got a girlfriend / She’s got a snakeskin purse / And a walk-in closet / Chock full of My Chemical Romance shirts / Told me about BDSM / Now I think I might burn in hell / We’re staying up all night / Writing dirty emails on AOL.” The song is about growing up while religious and the impact it had on Edwald growing up, specifically in his relationships with both his high school girlfriend and his twin sister. Edwald’s depiction of his sister is endearing and just generally fun. Edwald sings in the chorus, “Mama don’t raise no fools here / We got to rely on each other, my dеar / When I’m short on sound advice / I’m counting on my sister in Jеsus Christ.” 

The theme of religion can be seen throughout the album, including the closing track, “Easter.” Edwald opens with the lyrics, “Big brass band / Playin’ at my funeral / Playin’ on my coronation day / Long trombone / Slidin’ out my pocket / Layin’ all my coins before my love.” The song is a perfect ending to “Crying Laughing, Waving, Smiling.” It holds onto the album’s folky, indie-rock meets country sound through its soft instrumentals. Like the rest of the album, it is full of nostalgia. 

The last verse’s imagery paints a picture of childhood, putting the listener in Edwald’s shoes. Edwald sings “Black sand beach / On a rising Sunday / On an / Easter morning in my dream / Boardwalk blues / Blowin’ through my arcade / In my ice cream stand / There’s french fries too.” The song almost sounds like a lullaby. It’s a gentle send-off and a perfect end to the album. 

At its core, “Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling” is about growing up. It’s the type of album that listeners can sing along to, reminisce to and wholeheartedly enjoy. It creates a sense of nostalgia and makes the perfect soundtrack for a road trip through a mountain range with friends or a walk through a long-missed hometown.