$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

“For All The Dogs” highlights melodic and toxic flows

Courtesy of Republic Records
Drake’s newest album, “For All The Dogs,” features a number of other artists including Drake’s son Adonis, J. Cole, SZA, 21 Savage, Yeat, Lil Yachty and more.

The Toronto-based rapper Drake has finally returned with the release of his latest album, “For All The Dogs.” The album was said to be Drake’s return to his old ways, reminiscent of his style of rapping in past releases like “Marvin’s Room” or his album “Nothing Was the Same.” Some fans were hopeful for the return to a more melodic, reserved Aubrey, while others wanted to see a progression for Wheelchair Jimmy’s newer, more outgoing and toxic flows. 

“For All The Dogs” is a well-balanced mix of both forms of the 6 God, as the album leans heavily on its top-tier features while also showing that Drake is still having fun with his music career.

The album was originally set to release on Sept. 22, but was delayed several weeks with Drake addressing the delays in a statement, explaining that he wanted to make sure the album was not rushed, as well as finishing out his “It’s All a Blur” tour. As always with the OVO rapper, his release was shrouded in controversy and hype from his fans. Prior to the release, there were rumors floating around Twitter that the rapper was being dissed by R&B singer SZA. SZA had made a reference to “Marvin’s Room” in her feature of the recently released Travis Scott song “TELEKINESIS,” in which she seemingly copies the flow of Aubrey. It was then confirmed by SZA that the two dated briefly back in 2009. Drake then shortly after released a single off of “For All the Dogs” titled “Slime You Out” which featured SZA. 

Drake also is seen in the music video for “8am in Charlotte,” showing more publicized love and attention to his son, Adonis, who previously was not seen in the media. This was believed to be because of Drake’s wishes to not introduce his son to a celebritized light at an early age. Besides the video and feature on the song “Daylight,” Drake has been posting Adonis on Instagram braiding his hair and overall doing a little PR work to be seen as a good father. Nevertheless, the drama that preceded the album only gave more hype to its 6 a.m. release.

The album features several other artists, each song respectively playing to that artist’s strength. Teezo Touchdown is featured on the song “Amen,” a melodic song in which Teezo gives a masterclass on modernized R&B vocals. In the song “Gently,” Bad Bunny takes over, flexing his extravagant lifestyle and fashion as Champagne Papi and Bad Bunny show why everything is better with a little Latin flair. 

Other features throughout the album include Drake’s son Adonis, J. Cole, SZA, 21 Savage, Yeat, Lil Yachty and more. With many songs where the style caters to the featured artist, the album seems to rely on these songs to carry it, with Drake taking a backseat as a conductor more than a rapper with his own intricate, inventive style.

“For All The Dogs” is well-crafted and shows Drake’s versatility. Champagne Papi goes back to his slow flows and lyrics, speaking on wanting to forget relationships of the past, like in the track “Virginia Beach,” the album’s opening song. Drake recollects on being told he should have treated someone better in a past relationship and how he disagrees, recounting all the ways he went above and beyond for his past lover. 

In contrast, Drake is still settling into his laid-back flow, rhyming about his acclaim and money in tracks like “8am in Charlotte,” claiming he feels “like if Mike switched out the glove for the pen.” Whether you like the 6 God or not, it is hard to deny that he has created a space for himself as a prominent figure in the rap community.

“For All the Dogs” is a well-rounded album that shows care and thought in its production, feature list and combination of Drake’s past and present. This album is a large improvement to Jimmy’s previous few releases, which felt rushed and sloppy. Throughout “For All the Dogs,” Drake takes a backseat in his songs, with a wide variety of features that allow other artists to show off their individual styles. Overall, 6 God still flourishes on his own, making “For All the Dogs” a cohesive album.

Top 10:

1. First Person Shooter feat. J. Cole
  2. Fear Of Heights 
  3. Amen feat. Teezo Touchdown
  4. Virginia Beach
  5. Gently feat. Bad Bunny
  6. Slime You Out feat. SZA
  7. 8am in Charlotte
  8. IDGAF feat. Yeat
  9. Rich Baby Daddy feat. Sexxy red & SZA
  10. Daylight