$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Sufjan Stevens handles grief and loss in a beautiful way in ‘Javelin’

Sufjan+Stevens+newest+album%2C+Javelin%2C+deals+with+pain+and+grief+in+a+beautiful+way%2C+proving+no+matter+with+what+background%2C+he+always+has+a+powerful+story+to+tell.+
United Press International
Sufjan Stevens’ newest album, “Javelin,” deals with pain and grief in a beautiful way, proving no matter with what background, he always has a powerful story to tell.

Sufjan Stevens has always had a gentle and evocative way of swaying the listener into a feeling that can best be described as a homelike gesture, allowing even his most depressing and heart-wrenching realizations to ultimately lead to a place of acceptance and love. This mixture of complicated, raw emotions is ever-present in his latest work of art, transcending the boundaries of love’s possibilities.

After releasing the soundtrack album “Reflections” earlier this year, Stevens returns to his brand of personal, folk storytelling in “Javelin,” his 13th studio album produced by Asthmatic Kitty. On the album’s release date of Oct. 6, Stevens announced on Instagram that the album is dedicated to Evans Richardson, the love of his life who passed away in April.

The emotions and genuine storytelling infused into every second of this album are spellbinding. It is difficult to put into words just how purposeful each artistic choice feels, from the effortless lyrics flowing with grace, evocative percussion and orchestral instrumentation to Stevens’ transcendent exploration of loss, religion and moving through life. It’s all somehow simultaneously soul-crushing and life-affirming.

Stevens starts off wrestling with the weight of saying a goodbye in “Goodbye Evergreen,” a melancholic celebration of everlasting queer love and devotion long after somebody is gone. Following the slower-paced opening minute, Stevens twists the opening track into something much more emotionally visceral and haunting, the repetition of, “Goodbye Evergreen / You know I love you,is supported by backup vocals that ring home Stevens’ longing. Bringing in other vocalists, as Stevens does on many tracks, registers his feelings as universal and in community with the world around him. This is a beautiful testament to Stevens’ voice as an artist willing to open his wounds up for the world to see, the initially stagnant piano evolving into a much more complex melody.

The dynamic guitar melody in “Will Anybody Ever Love Me?” repeats at different chord progressions throughout, intimately matching Steven questioning the nature of love and whether he will ever experience it again. “Take my suffering as I take my vow / Wash me now, anoint me with that golden blade.” Stevens sings about the pain that comes with not knowing.

The eight-minute and 31-second long “Shit Talk” is the highlight of the entire record and one of the most emotionally cathartic tracks of Stevens’ entire discography. “Did I cross you? / Did I fail to believe / In positive thoughts?” Stevens questions as he searches for answers wherever he can, asking himself if there was anything he could’ve done to prevent a tragic loss in his life. The back-and-forth motion that builds with, “I will always love you / I don’t wanna fight at all,” showcases Stevens grappling with the finality of death and the complexity of human connection. Stevens chooses to hold on to his love through it all, repeating, “Hold me closely, hold me tightly lest I fall,” with a heartbreaking inflection in his voice.

Stevens’ vocals throughout are just as beautiful and heavenly as fans have to expect from his past albums. But in “Javelin,” he leans even heavier into solely instrumental music — both electronically and acoustically — as heard in the last two minutes of “Shit Talk.” These more artistic and experimental flourishes give the record an unmistakable feeling of euphoria, conveying two lovers connecting from across worlds, across the boundaries of life and death. Throughout the entire album, Stevens walks the line between his simpler old music to more expansive, electronic sounds in line with his newer albums brilliantly.

The acoustic melody in “So You Are Tired” is also a prime example of this, the backup vocals, simple piano melody and supporting orchestral instruments holding Stevens’ emotions in the air long after he’s stopped singing. There’s also a few seconds of silence at the very end of this track, showing the empty void that must be moved through before finding peace.

The maturity of Stevens’ voice as an artist and ability to channel his pain and grieving into something so beautiful and healing cannot be overstated. It has been incredibly exhilarating to watch Stevens grow over the past two decades that make up his exceptionally lauded career. “Javelin” reminds listeners that Stevens is most powerful at his most personal: a man in front of a guitar with a story to tell. It’s in this story that listeners feel every fabric of his soul, his love both binding and freeing him.