$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Almost 60 years later and the Rolling Stones are still rocking

Rock Cellar
The Rolling Stones’ most recent album, “Hackney Diamonds,” has other trendy voices other than their own, from Paul McCartney, Elton John, Lady Gaga to Stevie Wonder.

Once defined by the glamor of sex, drugs and rock ’n roll, The Rolling Stones’ signature loose and free-flowing cadence is what put them on the map as one of the greatest rock bands of all time. 

Nearly 60 years following their debut, however, the Stones trade in that effortless swagger for what seems like a struggle to preserve their youth. The legendary British group released its 31st studio album, “Hackney Diamonds,” on Oct. 20, its first collection of original music since 2005. 

Frontman Mick Jagger, who turned 80 in July, proved that despite his age, he can still craft songs that are catchy and enjoyable. Tracks like “Bite My Head Off” and “Driving Me Too Hard” show that the band has not lost its knack for creating memorable rock anthems. In the Stones’ first album since the death of their anchor, drummer Charlie Watts, the sneering pieces are nostalgic of the group’s gritty roots. 

In Watts’ absence, the band announced he would be replaced by Steve Jordan, who was personally appointed by Watts prior to his death. Jordan’s history with the Stones runs deep, as he has worked with lead guitarist Keith Richards on his side project, X-Pensive Winos, for decades. Watts’ pace-keeping can be heard on two of the album’s 12 tracks — “Live By The Sword” and “Mess It Up” — while the rest were recorded by Jordan.

However, the album’s sound feels overproduced and plastic, with many tracks lacking the raw, unapologetic energy that fans often associate with The Rolling Stones. In their quest to sound current and trendy, they seem to have stripped away the grit and character that defined their music for decades.

While the album’s star-studded roster — including appearances from Paul McCartney, Elton John, Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder — might be intriguing on paper, the features are a double-edged sword. 

Under the production of Andrew Watt — who has also worked with other rock legends like Ozzy Osbourne and Iggy Pop — Jagger has never sounded so youthful and Richards has rarely sounded so normal, his solos all exercises in convention and efficiency. Paired with Andrew’s buff and shine, the guest appearances feel like a blatant cash-grab rather than supplemental voices.

It’s as if the Stones are trying too hard to stay relevant by tapping into current pop trends, which makes the album feel disjointed as they attempt to fuse their classic rock sound with elements that do not always fit seamlessly. Although sturdy, McCartney’s buzzing bassline in “Bite My Head Off” only adds a recognizable name to the track rather than contributing something that could not have been achieved without him.

After spending the first half of the collection tightly-wound and polished, the Stones finally let up near the end. Richards steps forward to guide “Tell Me Straight,” a vulnerable query about a relationship’s odds of survival. The brief track — clocking in at just under three minutes — is dissonant and bluesy, a welcome reprieve from the album’s prior quest for a perfect sound. It is as unmitigated and honest as the Stones have sounded in the past, the age and experience showing through Richards’ licks and lyrics. 

The band continues to reveal its natural groove as Jagger begins to acknowledge his age and experience. In the penultimate track, “Sweet Sounds of Heaven” — a horn-lifted gospel number that mostly seems like an excuse to riff with Gaga and Wonder — Jagger contemplates nationalism, poverty and his own mortality, trying to resist the sirens’ call for just a bit more hard living. “No, I’m not going to hell in some dusty motel / And I’m not going down in the dirt.” 

Jagger’s voice bears more emotion than it has on the entire album as he sings of savoring the latter portion of his life, “I’m gonna laugh, I’m gonna cry / Eat the bread, drink the wine, ’cause I’m finally quenching my thirst.” Jagger spends the first 30 minutes of “Hackney Diamonds” cosplaying a younger version of himself, all cocksure and strutting. He is only convincing when he sings of what is real and nearer every day.

“Hackney Diamonds” is littered with glimpses of what could have been yet another collection of gems from The Rolling Stones. The album’s lyrics resonate with a sense of reminiscence and experience, reminding listeners of the authenticity the band is capable of delivering, but it ultimately falls flat when paired with a new and youthful sound. Its overproduction leaves long-time fans yearning for the rough edges and raucousness that defined the Stones in their prime.

View Comments (1)
$1520
$2000