$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Bombers win second straight Liberty League title in dominant fashion

Rayahna Tryka
For the second year in a row, the Ithaca College volleyball team came out victorious in the Liberty League championship game on Nov. 11, sweeping the William Smith College Herons, 3–0, in the Ben Light Gymnasium.

The Ithaca College volleyball team clinched its second straight Liberty League championship on Nov. 11, sweeping the William Smith Herons for the second time this season, (25–17, 25–13, 25–22).

Senior middle blocker Jamie Koopman made sure to get the party started early, leading the Bombers to a quick 8–4 advantage in the first set thanks to three early kills. However, shortly after the Herons were able to gain traction, closing the lead to 9–8 and then 12–11. Nonetheless, this is the closest the Herons were able to get, as thanks to two service aces and four kills by first-year outside hitter Naomi Clauhs, the Bombers pulled away with the set victory, 25–17. 

Set two offered more of the same, as the Bombers yet again jumped out to an 8–4 advantage, forcing Herons head coach Derryk Williams to call a timeout. Yet, the break in action was not enough to halt an explosive Bomber offense, and a trio of mistakes by the Heron offense forced Williams to call another timeout with the Bombers running away with the set, leading 18–10. 

Despite another timeout, the self-inflicted wounds for the Herons did not stop, as an attacking error and service error put the finishing touches on the set, as six different Bombers registered kills in the second frame, propelling them to a dominating 25—13 set victory.

The Bombers strong start to the game was halted by a multitude of mistakes to begin set three as the Herons rode unexpected momentum with three straight kills, silencing the home crowd with a 6–2 advantage. However, that would not be enough to silence the Bombers frontcourt, as a pair of blocks from sophomore setter Maddie Cox, along with two kills knotted the score level at six apiece moments later. 

The Herons hung tough, unphased by the offensive outbursts, staying tied at 8–8 and 14–14. Following a stretch of kills by the Herons that cut the Bombers’ lead to 23—22, Bombers head coach Johan Dulfer called a rare timeout. The home crowd began to rise on their feet as the South Hill squad was on the precipice of victory. 

First-year outside hitter Gabriela Gonzalez-Abreu, who led the Bombers with 13 kills in its semifinal matchup with Vassar, slammed home a kill to get the set point on deck. Following a valiant rally on both sides, it was a storybook ending as Koopman rocketed a kill to seal the deal. Koopman pumped her fist in emotion and trampled on the dogpile of euphoria shortly after. 

“You couldn’t have scripted it any better for Jamie to get the kill to win the title,” Dulfer said. 

Koopman expressed her joy at being able to celebrate on their home court and take in the moment with her teammates. 

“This team is truly a group of all my best friends,” Koopman said. “We were able to dominate together and play good volleyball on our home court one last time together.” 

Dulfer believes the 2023 team said the team is one of the most special teams he has ever coached. 

“The energy is really good and being a team is like being a family; you don’t always get along but they are able to battle through and take my feedback and run with it,” Dulfer said.

The Bombers have advanced to the NCAA Division III tournament for the second straight season and will face Framingham State University at a time to be determined Nov. 16 in Ben Light Gymnasium.