$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Swastika found drawn outside Terraces on first night of Hanukkah

File Photo
Dave Maley, director of public relations at the college, told The Ithacan Dec. 9 that the swastika was located on the rock wall outside of Terrace 3, not outside of the Terrace Dining Hall as it was reported in the email to the campus community Dec. 8.

Update: 11:45 a.m Dec. 11:  

Original story, 6:30 pm Dec. 8:

A swastika was found drawn into the snow outside of Terrace Dining Hall — the location of the Kosher Kitchen at Ithaca College — on Dec. 7, which was the first night of Hanukkah. 

President La Jerne Cornish notified the campus community of the incident in an email on the afternoon of Dec. 8. In the email, she said Muslim, Arab and Palestinian students have also experienced multiple bias incidents recently but did not provide further information.

“We absolutely denounce this ignorant and hateful act of antisemitism,” Cornish said. “Acts of hatred have no place on our campus, and we must join together to condemn them and reaffirm that Ithaca College must remain a safe space for every member of our community.”

Cornish said the Hanukkah Shabbat Celebrations with Hillel will still take place the evening of Dec. 8 as planned. Campus Public Safety officers will be at and nearby Muller Chapel throughout the holidays. 

“The shining lights of Hanukkah will not be diminished or darkened, and we want everyone celebrating to feel safe and secure,” Cornish said in the email. “We also promise an investigation that seeks justice and accountability.”

In 2022, eight swastikas were found on Ithaca College’s campus. The last swastika reported was created around Nov. 4, 2022. The college never found those responsible for the series of swastikas. 

Cornish said she is currently away from campus traveling and could not attend the celebrations on campus for the first night of Hanukkah. However, she said she will be at the lighting Dec. 12. Melanie Stein, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, will be at the lighting Dec. 8. 

Experiences or witnesses of bias, intimidation or hatred can contact the Office of Public Safety at (607) 274-3333 or file a Bias Impact Report. Cornish asked anyone with information about the Dec. 7 incident to contact Public Safety. 

Lauren Goldberg, executive director of the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, can be reached at 240-401-2590 and [email protected]. Chabad can be contacted by reaching out to Raffy Filler, IC affiliate for the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, at [email protected] or (347) 915-3145.  

The Center for Counseling and Psychological Services is available at (607) 274-3136 at all times.