$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Swastika found in Baker Walkway ahead of Spring ’24 semester

File Photo/The Ithacan
The Ithaca College community was notified Jan. 20 about a swastika that was found drawn in the frost in the Baker Walkway windows on Jan. 19.

In a Jan. 20 campuswide email, Bonnie Prunty, vice president of Student Affairs and Campus Life, reminded the campus community about the letter President La Jerne Cornish wrote to the campus in December 2023. A swastika was found Dec. 7, the first night of Hanukkah, and located on the rock wall outside of Terrace 3. 

“Acts of hatred have no place on our campus, and we must join together to condemn them and reaffirm that Ithaca College must remain a safe space for every member of our community,” Cornish’s letter said. 

The Office of Public Safety has investigated the incident and has identified the person believed to be responsible according to the email. The individual has been referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards. 

The Baker Walkway connects the James J. Whalen Center for Music to Terraces Dining Hall, which is the location for the Kosher Kitchen at the college. In 2022, three swastikas were found in the vicinity of the James J. Whalen Center for Music and the Baker Walkway, as previously reported by The Ithacan.

Experiences or witnesses of bias, intimidation or hatred can be reported to the Office of Public Safety at (607) 274-3333 or individuals can also file a Bias Impact Report

Lauren Goldberg, executive director of Hillel at Ithaca College, can be reached at [email protected]. Chabad can be contacted by reaching out to Raffy Filler, the college’s affiliate for the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, at [email protected] or (347) 915-3145.  

The Center for Counseling and Psychological Services is available at (607) 274-3136 at all times.