$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

Spotlight on student thesis films and their creators

Courtesy of Adylise Nicholas

Senior Adylise Nicholas – “Kalopsia”

Kalopsia is a film visually showcasing my entire college experience on an old Sony video camera. I started recording footage because with my mental health it was hard to remember things. However, the film then became something in which I could heal through and showcase the struggles of mental illness in our generation. This is probably the most vulnerable film I have ever created, but I hope it will make people feel more seen.

Courtesy of TJ Bogart

Senior TJ Bogart – “Where Do Puppets Come From?”

I wrote this film slowly over the course of December and January 2023 with drafts going up to two days before filming. We filmed March 2, 3 and 21 and are now currently in postproduction. The process was really fun getting to work with a puppet as a character in a human world. I also shot in my hometown, Geneva, New York, which allowed me to introduce my crew not only to an amazing town, but get to work effectively in a quieter town. I really enjoyed getting to experiment with more 2010’s YouTube Video style brought out many of the aspects that led to why I wanted to work in film. I couldn’t have done any of this to the extent that it is now without an amazing crew. If it wasn’t for every individual on my set, this film would not be what it is. They laughed, had fun and most importantly, worked hard and I really appreciate each and every one of them who made this possible.

Courtesy of Masaki Mitsuhashi

Senior Masaki Mitsuhashi – “TEN AND GUN GENERATION”

The multimedia project, TEN AND GUN GENERATION,” was initially a short film project which the director, Masaki Mitsuhashi, a Japanese senior student in Ithaca College directs. This film depicts the two Japanese friends who have contradictory feelings on fashion and society clash their thoughts to unify them. The Japanese government has issued a policy to “Abolish all general clothing” as the world starts to close in around them and their ideals. The film was based on the poetry which he wrote when he experienced an identity crisis while spending the latter half of teenage life in fashion district Harajuku but went to Japanese high school with uniform requirements. 

Courtesy of Selena Forlenza

Selena Forlenza – “Self Portrait”

This film for me was a personal experience that allowed me to expand my artistic creativity and hone in on my own art style. Revolving around an artist’s creative process, this film highlights frustration in perfectionism and discovering one’s true self in trusting the process and their own instincts. It’s a freeing experience that shares the artist’s love for art and the difficulties they encounter when they stray from their usual process.

Being a director, writer, actor and editor for this film has allowed me to gain new perspectives and think more heavily on how to operate and develop this personal film. I enjoyed how playful my crew and I were with designing the set and testing out different experimental shots. I hope the experience was as fun as it was for everyone as it ended up being for me.

Richard Morris – “Just Forget About Me”

While making and directing a film, the one certainty is that things will go wrong. As you’re putting all of the puzzle pieces together, you realize one or two didn’t come in the box. It takes a village of talented and bright individuals who are willing to put in far more work than expected to find or completely recreate the puzzle to make every little piece fit. You’ll even be surprised how the new picture on the new puzzle looks even better than on the box.