$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

SGC discusses orientation programming bill and hears about new health insurance navigator role

Lucia Iandolo
The “Fostering an Alliance between SGC and New Student & Transition Programs (NSTP) to Assist First-Year and Transfer Students” bill outlines the importance of the council being directly involved with orientation planning, including understanding how orientation impacts first-year and transfer students who identify as first-gen or BIPOC, students who have a disability or are a part of a social group that is underrepresented at the college.

The Ithaca College Student Governance Council met April 22 to hear from first-generation senator LaRon Pigford about a bill he introduced regarding how SGC can assist first-year and transfer students during orientation. The council also met with Jennifer Metzgar, director of Student Health Services, to discuss introducing the new role of health insurance navigator at the Hammond Health Center.

Pigford began his presentation by explaining his bill titled “Fostering an Alliance between SGC and New Student & Transition Programs (NSTP) to Assist First-Year and Transfer Students.” The purpose of the bill is to add to the current orientation programming, which focuses on helping first-year and transfer students socially acclimate to the college. Additionally, the bill aims to provide orientation programming with a distinct student perspective and assist incoming students in getting academically acclimated.

The bill outlines the importance of the council being directly involved with orientation planning, including understanding how orientation impacts first-year and transfer students who identify as first-gen or BIPOC, students who have a disability or are a part of a social group that is underrepresented at the college. The bill recognizes that orientation is a necessary and important part of a student’s transition into school, ensuring a smooth transition for incoming students and that students are aware of student organizations, clubs, sports and other on-campus resources available for students to join.

Pigford said he introduced the bill because, as a transfer student, he felt that his orientation experience could have been improved. 

“I know my orientation experience as a transfer student was not that good,” Pigford said. “I’m going to be completely honest. There’s a lot of feedback from the student community as a whole about orientation not being the best here.”

Pigford’s bill suggests a temporary committee under SGC that will incorporate current student opinions on orientation with a focus on getting feedback from underrepresented student populations. The bill requires the vice president of academic affairs, the transfer senator, the international senator, the first-generation senator and two first-year class senators to serve on the committee. 

Sophomore Rishabh Sen, vice president of campus affairs, asked Pigford to elaborate on why the vice president of academic affairs was required to join the committee. 

Pigford said specific populations within first-year and transfer students need a more holistic approach to the assistance they receive during orientation and that the vice president of academic affairs will be able to provide an aspect of orientation programming that is missing.

“When we’re talking about a specialized population within first-year and transfer students we have to recognize … they don’t have enough resources [provided during] orientation to make sure that they are having a successful semester academically,” Pigford said. “[The] unique perspective that the vice president of academic affairs can have on the committee in coming up with new ways and initiatives for them to create more academic resources is amazing.”

With the bill being temporary, sophomore Nikki Sutera, senate chair, asked whether the bill would become permanent and added to the constitution. Pigford said he believed the committee should stay temporary and when its purpose is fulfilled, the committee should dissolve.

“[With] this bill, we’re not going to see change tomorrow, we will not want to see change next week,” Pigford said. “The earliest that I can see the committee meeting and creating ideas on how to make orientations better is for next year.”

After further discussing the bill with the council, amendments were made to make the language used in the bill more specific and clarify the position the vice president of academic affairs holds.

Junior Kathi Hodel, senator-at-large, made a motion to table the bill for the council’s next meeting. The motion was passed with 10 in favor, one abstaining and zero opposed. Pigford abstained since he proposed the bill.

Metzgar then presented medical and health resources provided by Student Health Services to the campus community. These resources include access to contraceptives, testing for sexually transmitted infections or diseases and transportation assistance for students needing to attend medical appointments or experiencing medical emergencies.

Metzgar also spoke about a new role that Student Health Services will be introducing — health insurance navigator. Metzgar said the new role will explain the financial aspects of having the college’s health insurance and answer any questions students have about their health insurance. 

Sophomore Ty Anderson, vice president of residential affairs, asked about the process for students to connect with the navigator.

Metzgar said that since this position is new and has only recently been filled, they are planning for students to be able to call and schedule an appointment with the navigator, but they haven’t planned a way to schedule time online. 

Sophomore Caleb Cackowski, vice president of communications, asked if Student Financial Services was going to communicate on a larger scale to the campus community about the new position.

Metzgar said she is still trying to find out the most effective way to communicate with the student body.

“We just did an article with The Ithacan on the health insurance navigator position,” Metzgar said. “We developed our own Instagram. I’ve been advertising on the LCD screens. I’d love to hear from you [on] what’s the most effective way. How do I reach students?” 

Cackowski said a good way to reach students was to make sure that students know these resources are available to them during orientation including the new health insurance navigator role.Senior Carli McConnell, president of the student body, reminded the council in an open agenda that platform presentations are happening April 23 and that if any current members of the senate or executive board are running for a position to come to the Taughannock Falls room at 5 p.m.

The SGC is the sole representative body for the Ithaca College student community. The SGC can be contacted at [email protected].

Editors note: A previous version of this article stated the bill was passed with 10 votes in favor, zero abstaining and one opposed. The correct vote was 10 votes in favor, one abstaining and zero opposed. The article has been updated to reflect the correct vote. 
View Comments (1)
$1520
$2000