$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

3-D visual effects salvage bland film

As the second 3-D animated film this year about a crazy villain who decides to change his lifestyle, “Megamind” isn’t nearly as memorable as this summer’s “Despicable Me.” But the film still manages to entertain with a whimsical voice cast and fine visual flair.

The plot centers on the blue, egg-headed villain Megamind (Will Ferrell) who comes to earth with a plan to defeat his arch nemesis, superhero Metroman (Brad Pitt).

While the satire has plenty of pop culture references, it’s difficult not to compare Ferrell’s high-pitched frantic villain to Steve Carell’s cunning Gru in “Despicable Me.” Both characters are constantly planning new destructive schemes with the help of their minions, but deep down they just want to fit in. The laughs are mostly forgettable because the writing is recycled. However, the 3-D is surprisingly striking with colorful action sequences that begin and end the film.

Always-dependable Tina Fey gives her character, Roxanna Ritchi, a quirky, dry originality that the rest of the story is missing, especially with an ending that has every character dancing to Michael Jackson’s “Bad.”

The slick visuals and entertaining voices in “Megamind” make up for most of the been-there-done-that feeling. But the film ends up feeling a lot more minor than mega.

“Megamind” was written by Alan Schoolcraft and Brent Simons and directed by Tom McGrath.

$1495
$2000