$1275
$2000

Brainpower flick pumps up energy

Proving the power of the mind, “Limitless” succeeds in creating a world where, instead of straining to grasp every thought, a person can pop a pill and become successful.

Struggling writer Eddie Morra (Bradley Cooper) is offered the “miracle” drug, NZT, which allows him to use all of his brainpower, instead of the typical 20 percent. Morra climbs to the top of the financial world, becoming an adviser for top energy firm executive Carl Van Loon (Robert De Niro) and eventually spirals out of control as he becomes addicted to the expensive NZT.

The most interesting aspect of “Limitless” is the camera work. Flashing lights, fast turns, quick cuts and extreme speed throughout the scenes complement Morra’s state of mind.

Both Cooper and De Niro are outstanding in the film. Cooper shines as a pretty boy trying to make a name for himself in the business world. De Niro easily convinces the viewer he is a wealthy businessman who needs the help of someone special like Cooper’s character.

However, the ending falls flat without a clear conclusion. Morra plays out his time on NZT, coming out on top of the business world with no real consequences or meaningful lessons.

The film, an engaging psychological thriller, exceeds mediocre expectations and breaks the limits set for it, just without a decisive ending.

“Limitless” was written by Leslie Dixon and directed by Neil Burger. It was based on the novel “Dark Fields” by Alan Glynn.

3 out of 4 stars

$1275
$2000