$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Comedic heroes refine weak plot

While “The Green Hornet” attempts to be a tongue-in-cheek superhero bromedy, it fails to deliver on most fronts. The main problem lies within the basic premise of the film.

Unlike most superhero movies where a series of unfortunate events brings the hero to action, Britt Reid (Seth Rogen) instead acts on the injustice of waking up to improperly brewed coffee. Reid therefore rehires Kato (Jay Chou), formerly his father’s personal coffee maker. After one night of fun, the duo decides to fight crime out of pure boredom.

When the main motivation for fighting crime is summed up in Rogen’s line, “Let’s do something crazy,” there is clearly problem. Without a definitive reason for the characters’ actions, the film lacks any sort of developed characterization, making nearly every action look forced despite the talented cast.

Illustrated through Rogen’s trademark comedy and Chou’s surprisingly funny improvised lines, the dialogue is the film’s main attraction. The action sequences barely move the plot forward because of the alarming eagerness of their pace, creating a hollow mess that lacks entertaining thrills and an easily followed story line.

In all, “The Green Hornet” feels like an overblown “Saturday Night Live” skit, exhausted by dry humor and a lack of interesting material.

“The Green Hornet” was written by Rogen and Evan Goldberg and directed by Michel Gondry.

$1495
$2000