$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Disney moves forward with ‘Meet the Robinsons’

A fast-paced plot, witty humor and technical brilliance are the ingredients that bring together Disney’s newest animated comedy, “Meet the Robinsons.”

The movie’s creative salvation lies within the digital 3-D presentation available at most movie theaters. Moviegoers get the added excitement of keeping the 3-D glasses given to them at the front door.

“Meet the Robinsons” begins with a scene of a mother dropping off her child at an orphanage. At age 12, Lewis (voiced by Daniel Hansen) is quite the inventor, though he doesn’t seem to make a good impression on any of his potential parents (in all he meets 124). At the science fair, Lewis meets Wilbur (Wesley Singerman), who claims he is from the future, but Lewis isn’t convinced. To prove himself, Wilbur brings Lewis to the future, which is where viewers meet the eccentric Robinson family and the misguided, quirky villain and his robotic hat.

The film is based on a William Joyce book called “A Day with Wilbur Robinson,” which Disney’s screenwriters had to beef up for the 101-minute movie. Disney successfully captures the eccentricity of the Robinson family without dulling them down in the slightest bit. The digitally animated comedy has the ability to bring people of all ages together.

Unlike most of Disney’s movies, “Meet the Robinsons” restrains from including its usual cast of cute, talking critters, with the exception of singing frogs, which holds some resemblance to the WB frog. Lewis’ character is similar to that of Disney’s animated cartoon, “Jimmy Neutron,” and is a positive role model for children.

As in “Finding Nemo,” Disney attempts to reach more high school and college audiences, which it does successfully. “Meet the Robinsons” manages to incorporate satire, stupid humor and childlike ideas into one refreshing comedy. The whole family can enjoy this movie, and it can also be a valuable learning tool for children.

This heartwarming film has many underlying morals, and the importance of intelligence is emphasized rather than physical attractiveness. Unlike many movies, both the hero and villain learn an important, life-changing lesson.

The film ends with a quote from Walt Disney, “Keep moving forward,” which is the underlying theme throughout the movie. Disney finally takes a step in the right direction with the making of this wonderful comedy.

“Meet the Robinsons” was written by Jon Bernstein, Michelle Bochner and Robert L. Baird, and directed by Stephen J. Anderson.

“Meet the Robinsons” received 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

$1495
$2000