$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

‘The Lorax’: Magical visuals enchant in film

The Technicolor magic of Dr. Seuss comes alive on the silver screen once more with the lighthearted movie “The Lorax.”

The film made its debut on what would have been Dr. Seuss’ 108th birthday and is based on his popular children’s book “The Lorax.” The movie, directed by Chris Renaud, tells the tale of the city of Thneed-Ville, which was once full of Truffula trees and adorable creatures, but is now a walled-in fixture made out of plastic and bearing no connection to nature. The city, run by an evil entrepreneur, Mr. O’Hare (Rob Riggle), produces its main commodity of “bottled air,” as it has no trees to provide this vital resource.

Ted (Zac Efron) is a 12-year-old boy and the protagonist of the film. His character portrays the typical pre-teen boy — he has a crush on a girl who he would do anything for. The girl, Audrey (Taylor Swift), has a birthday rapidly approaching. Her one wish for the special day is to see her first real tree. Ted makes it his mission to find her one.

He goes through an eye-opening adventure to find a Truffula tree for Audrey. He meets the Once-ler (Ed Helms) who lives outside the walls of Thneed-Ville. The Once-ler helps the audience understand what happened to the Truffula Forest when he explains to Ted what happened to the trees.

The Lorax (Danny DeVito) is the comical protector of the trees and serves as a leader for the animals in this small community. The Once-ler, taken over by  greed, starts to use the trees in the forest to make a new, popular product.

Efron was a great choice for this leading role, as his voice perfectly fits with the determination and bravery of his character. Swift, likewise, did a fantastic job turning her character into a soft-spoken yet strong-willed teenager.

Betty White, who provides the voice for Ted’s grandma, Grammy Norma, steals the spotlight, as her witty dialogue and humorous moments shine in the movie. DeVito has an outstanding ability to make his character’s sarcasm stand out in a children’s film.

Overall, “The Lorax” provides great entertainment for its audience through its charming storyline, catchy musical numbers and creative visuals. This animated movie is able to connect with the audience on a personal level through Dr. Seuss’ timeless story.

$1375
$2000