•  

January 21, 2017   |   Ithaca, NY

Life & Culture

‘Moonlight’ film featuring IC student snags Golden Globe

“Moonlight” — the coming-of-age film featuring Ithaca College sophomore acting major Jharrel Jerome — took home the 2017 Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture in the Drama category on Jan. 8 in Beverly Hills.

Directed and written by Barry Jenkins, a nominee for Best Director and Best Screenplay, “Moonlight” was one of five films in its category, which included “Hacksaw Ridge,” “Hell or High Water,” “Lion” and “Manchester by the Sea.”

The film was also nominated for five other awards that evening, including Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, Best Supporting Actress and Best Original Score. Mahershala Ali was a contender for Supporting Actor in his role as a drug-dealing father-figure in “Moonlight.”

Jerome left Ithaca College during the Fall 2015 semester to work alongside Ali. In the film, Jerome plays 16-year-old Kevin, a friend of the protagonist, an African-American man who discovers his sexuality as he grows up. The film is based on the play “In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue” by Tarell Alvin McCraney.

The film has previously been nominated for several awards, including the 2017 Screen Actor’s Guild for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, and was featured in the Toronto International Film Festival. It won six awards from the 2017 African-American Film Critics Association and is currently a contender for several Academy Awards.

Jerome previously spoke with The Ithacan about his experiences on the set of “Moonlight,” his passion for entertaining and the theater department at Ithaca College.