$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

College encourages students to stay safe at Cortaca Jug game

File Photo/The Ithacan
Defensive back Rob Daly ’20 runs into the crowd of Ithaca College fans after the team won the 61st Annual Cortaca Jug game in 2019.

The first Cortaca Jug game in one year will take place Nov. 13. However, this year’s game will still take place during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Rosanna Ferro, vice president for Student Affairs and Campus Life, sent an email to Ithaca College students Nov. 8 reminding them how important this rivalry event is. She said that while it is exciting for the two schools to be meeting again for the annual game, students should still make smart choices within the context of COVID-19. All fans are encouraged to wear face masks regardless of vaccination status. Disposable masks will be available at entry gates.

“While I encourage all of our students to immerse themselves in the pageantry of this exciting weekend, please do so responsibly and respectfully,” she said in the email.

Ithaca College has been able to return to a fully in-person fall semester after being hybrid for Spring 2021 and remote for Fall 2020. Students also had to be fully vaccinated to return to campus for Fall 2021.

Ferro also listed behaviors that are expected of students when at the game or interacting with others on social media. She said students should treat people at the event with dignity and respect regardless of if they are Ithaca College or SUNY Cortland supporters, they should show support in a positive way without verbal abuse directed toward others, they should not throw objects onto the field or in the direction of members of the football teams, and should not engage in acts of physical violence. Students should not post anything on social media that might leave them liable to law enforcement or be detrimental to their personal character.

There will be law enforcement patrolling parking lots and roadways at the event as well as working driver checkpoints to deter people from driving under the influence. The Residence Hall Association and Student Governance Council have sponsored two buses for transport to and from the game which is being held at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex.

Gates at the stadium open at 11 a.m. and kickoff is at noon. To enter the stadium, students must show their ticket and there are no ticket sales at the gate. If students have lost their ticket or if it has been stolen, it cannot be re-issued, and there is no re-entry to the stadium if students leave.

Fans cannot bring alcoholic beverages, backpacks, totes, bags, food, banners, flags, bottles, cans, containers, coolers, pets, tobacco, umbrellas or weapons of any kind into the stadium. In parking lots, fans cannot have pets, kegs, charcoal grills or glass bottles.

For students who cannot attend the game in person, it will be streamed online and on the radio station WICB, FM 91.7.

$1495
$2000