$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

ITHACA THIS WEEKEND: September 13-15

Top news of the day

The stories you should check out

1. Ithaca College has been ranked among the top colleges in the nation, according to U.S News and World Report’s list of “Best Colleges” for 2014, released Sept. 10. The college is ranked number eight in the North in the category of regional universities. This is the 19th straight year the college has been ranked in the top 15 in the “Best Colleges” issue. The college also ranked 13th in the magazine’s “Great Schools, Great Prices” listing, and fourth for “Best Undergraduate Teaching.”

2. Attention all Potterheads! J.K. Rowling has signed another deal with Warner Brothers to write a screenplay for her 2001 “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”, which will serve as the first film in a new “Harry Potter World” series. “‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world,” Rowling said in a statement yesterday on her website. “Newt’s story will start in New York, 70 years before Harry’s gets underway.”

3. Staff writer Lisa Farmularo spoke with Carl Corry, the online local news editor at Newsday, about smartphone journalism and how to make the most of having a smartphone. Corry will speak at 7 p.m. Sunday in Park Auditorium. The lecture is sponsored by the Ithaca College chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Check out our Q&A with Corry in “Latest Headlines.”

4. U.S Senator Chuck Schumer said recently graduated teachers, firefighters, police officers, nurses and soldiers across the country are missing out on huge student loan debt breaks. Schumer said 33 million are eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program — including a quarter of New York’s workforce. Only debt from Federal Direct Loans qualify for the program.

What’s happening this weekend

The events you won’t want to miss

1. Concert: Sam Lloyd and the Cavalcade of Sin, The Danbees and Second Dam will perform at 7 p.m. Friday in Emerson Suites.

2. Festival: The International Peace Festival will be held 4-10 p.m. Saturday and 11-5 p.m. Sunday at St. Catherine’s Church, located at 302 St. Catherine Circle.

3. Women’s Tennis: The Bombers will take on Nazareth College at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Wheeler Tennis Courts.

In This Week’s Paper
Don’t have time to pick up today’s issue of The Ithacan? Read the highlights here.

1. News: An in-depth look at the civil war in Syria and possible implications of a NATO-led military intervention. Read our coverage here.

2. Sports: Senior Tim Locastro is returning to the college for the fall semester, after accepting an offer last spring to play professional baseball with the Toronto Blue Jays. Read about Locastro’s pro-baseball experience and his off-season workout plan.

3. Accent: Theatre professor Wendy Dann workshopped her new play, “The Liberator: a play with music and machinery,” in New York City in February and Ithaca in July. The play delves into the falling out of Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison because of their different ideologies about the abolitionist movement, and stars current students and alumni in key roles.

$1375
$2000