$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Monday, Sept. 2

Top news of the day
Stories you should check out

1. Janet Galvan, professor of performance studies in the James J. Whalen School of Music, has been named the new director of choral activities. Sage Daugherty, our online news editor, spoke with Galvan about her new role. You can read the full story at http://archive.theithacan.org/33158.

2. The Roy H. Park School of Communications’ online course override form will be made available to all schools for the November registration period. Pick up the next issue of The Ithacan on Thursday for more details.

3. The Ithaca College Library will hold its first Banned Book Read Out at noon Sept. 26 in the Handwerker Gallery. The library invites students, staff and faculty to sign up to read excerpts from books that have been banned or challenged at some point in their history. For more information go to http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/, and be sure to read this coming week’s Accent section for more on this story.

What’s happening today
Events you won’t want to miss

1. The 30th annual Labor Day Picnic, sponsored by the Tompkins County Workers’ Center, will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in Stewart Park. There will be free food, live music and a presentation of awards. Check back later today for the full story.

Labor Day Checklist:
Three ideas for what to do on your day off

1. Go hiking or have a picnic at Buttermilk Falls State Park

2. Hang out on The Commons and challenge some friends to try food from every restaurant

3. Go see “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” at Regal Stadium 14. Check here to see what Accent Reviewer, Josh Greenfield thought.

Labor Day Playlist:
The Ithacan Accent Editors have the perfect Labor Day playlist

1. “Frames” by Lee DeWyze — The “American Idol” season nine winner has a new record label and a new sound to go along with it. Accent Editor Jackie Eisenberg said the album has many solid songs, but sounds “eerily similar” to season 11 winner Phillip Phillips’ album.

2. “Doris” by Earl Sweatshirt — The rap album was given three and a half stars by Accent writer Cady Lang, who said, while the album is relatively short, Sweatshirt conveys a maturity that will leave listeners hungry for more.

3. “Paradise Valley” by John Mayer — Mayer’s new album is full of bluegrass love songs and is a great accompaniment to a mellow day.

$1495
$2000