$1275
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Thursday, March 6

What’s happening today
Today’s top news and events

1. Italian playwright Dacia Maraini will speak at 5 p.m. today in the Handwerker Gallery. Maraini will discuss the role of women in her plays and novels. Maraini’s lecture will be followed by a dramatic reading of her play “Charlotte Corday.”

2. Sustainability at IC and the IC Nutrition Club will present a screening of “The Botany of Desire” at 7 p.m. tonight in the Klingenstein Lounge in the Campus Center. The film focuses on the relationship between humans and plants.

In Today’s Paper
Don’t have time to pick up today’s issue of The Ithacan? Read the highlights here

News: The rapid implementation of a new set of teacher certification requirements in New York state has education students, particularly college seniors, under stress and apprehension. Two years ago, New York became the second state to require college students majoring in education to pass the Teacher Performance Assessment, also called edTPA, in order to be certified to teach in the state. Read about how students have reacted to the edTPA in this week’s News Section.

Accent: Junior Julie Sullivan has created “Staged,” the first musical TV show for ICTV. It follows the story of college senior Bridget Morgan, played by senior Jessica Caracciolo, who is facing expulsion from her school’s theater program and must create a musical in order to maintain her status in the department. Read about Sullivan and the production of “Staged” in this week’s Accent Section.

Sports: One of the baseball team’s freshman pitchers, Logan Barer, was diagnosed with Stage III melanoma when he was 9 years old. Ten years later, Barer is pitching for the No. 6–ranked Division III baseball team in the country. Read about how his love for baseball has helped Barer overcome his diagnosis in this week’s Sports Section.

$1275
$2000