$1275
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Wednesday, Sept. 11

Top news of the day
The stories you should check out

1. After an eight year–long delay, a Cornell satellite will launch into space on Sept. 14 at the Vandenberg Air Force Base in Lompoc, Calif. The satellite was first developed in 2005 and scheduled to launch in June 2008. It was developed by a team of Cornell engineers and will make global positioning systems more precise. More than 200 Cornell students helped develop the satellite.

2. Campus Pride has included Ithaca College on its list of the top 25 LGBT friendly colleges and universities. Campus Pride is an organization for student leaders and campus groups working to create a safer environment for LGBT students.  The college was a member of a list that includes Princeton, Stanford, Washington State University and the University of Southern California. The list was released in late August.

3. First-year diversity speaker Maura Cullen presented last night to a roomful of first year and transfer students. Check out our coverage of the event today in Latest Headlines.

Syria 101
Timeline of events, from BBC.com

1. March 2011: Uprising in Damascus began after protesters demanded the release of political prisoners. Violent protests were triggered after security forces shot and killed a number of protesters.

2. July 2011: Activists opposing the Assad regime meet in Istanbul to form a unified opposition.

3. February 2012: Russia and China block a U.N. security council draft resolution on Syria. The Assad government continues its bombardment of the city of Homs and other cities.

4. July 2013: The main opposition, the National Coalition, has a leadership change. Rebels said they captured Khan al-Assal, the last major government stronghold town in the west of Aleppo Province.

5. August 2013: Rebels and Western governments accuse Assad’s forces of using chemical weapons in an attack that killed an estimated 1,400 men, women and children; Russia and China warn against an attack on Syria.

6. September 10, 2013: Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Moallem said Tuesday that the Syrian government is ready to cooperate with a Russian initiative that would include Syria joining the Chemical Weapons Convention and turning over its chemical weapons.

7. President Obama addressed the nation Tuesday night and made his case for a limited military strike against Syria. Obama also said he would seriously consider a proposal by Russia that would give international monitors the power to take over and destroy Syria’s stockpile of chemical weapons.

What’s happening today

The events you won’t want to miss

1. Field Hockey: The Bombers will take on SUNY-Cortland at 4 p.m. today in Higgins Stadium.

2. Concert: Screaming Females will perform with Speedy Ortiz and Brick Mower at 7 p.m. tonight in Emerson Suites. Tickets are still on sale here.

3. Men’s Soccer: The Bombers will play SUNY-Cortland at 4 p.m. today at Carp Wood Field.

$1275
$2000