$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Another win for baseball

The baseball team got off to a quick start against York College and held on to win its fifth straight non-conference game. The Bombers beat the Spartans 6-1 on Sunday afternoon to improve to 30–6 on the season.

The Bombers got on the board in the first inning when sophomore Vinny Gneo singled, scoring sophomore Christian Brown and junior Tim Locastro. In the second inning, junior Luke Stark led off the inning with a single to center, then scored when Locastro crushed a home run over the left field wall.

The Blue and Gold added two insurance runs when Brown hit a two-run home run in the fourth inning.

Normally a small-ball oriented team, the two home runs were uncharacteristic for the Bombers. Locastro said the wind — which was blowing out toward center field — played a role in the powerful offensive performance.

“Today we had an advantage with the wind blowing outwards,” Locastro said. “Anything hit in the air was going to go out and that was huge for us.”

Heading into the fifth inning with a comfortable 6-1 lead, the Bomber offense slowed, and Adams took over, holding the Spartans to one run through seven innings.

In the top of the eighth, Adams struggled, allowing three Spartan hits and one run before junior Matt Colbert replaced him. The Spartans pulled within two when Colin Porter singled in two runs.

The Spartans scored again in the ninth, but textbook defensive execution by the Bombers kept York at bay and allowed them to hold on for the win.

With one out in the top of the ninth, the Spartans had a runner on second when Colbe Herr roped a double into right-center field. Brown tracked the ball down, made a perfect throw to the second base cutoff sophomore Tim Henry, who threw it to catcher Corey Caswell to nail the runner coming home.

The relay saved the game for the Bombers. Stark said the team constantly practices similar situations in practice so that they are ready for them in games.

“It was a huge play for us, and practicing it a lot has helped that play to work.” Stark said. “We don’t always get to use it in games, but we execute it really well.”

Locastro said despite York’s comeback, the Bombers fought to keep the lead and did not give up, which shows the team’s character.

“It was good that we never relinquished the lead,” Locastro said. “We got sort of flat in the later innings, but we were able to hold on.”

Adams started the game on the mound and pitched seven and 1/3 innings, giving up four runs on 10 hits. Head Coach George Valesente said Adams had a strong outing despite early struggles.

“Around the fourth or fifth inning he started to throw the ball pretty well,” Valesente said. “He started to get his breaking ball over with some consistency, which was really helpful for him.”

After the emotional win, the Bombers will take the field again tomorrow against No. 6 ranked SUNY-Cortland. The Bombers beat the Red Dragons earlier in the season 9-5.

Valesente expressed the magnitude of the upcoming game. He said the game will be a determinant when it comes time for playoffs.

“It’s always a great game,” Valesente said of Cortland. “I’m sure we won’t have to motivate them. They’ll be ready to go.”

$1495
$2000