$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Bomber Roundup 1/31–2/4

Sophomore Jon Yoskin swims the breaststroke in the men’s swimming and diving team’s meet Feb. 1 in the Athletics and Events Center Pavilion. The Blue and Gold defeated Union College 194–106.
Olivia Cross/The Ithacan

Wrestling 

The No. 12–ranked wrestling team enjoyed its home mats Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 as the Bombers matched up against Nassau Community College and No. 18 Delaware Valley College at the Ben Light Gymnasium.

The Blue and Gold finished with a 33–9 win against Nassau Community College, but for the third time this season were edged out by tie break criteria, this time at the hands of Delaware Valley 19–18.

Against Nassau, the squad claimed victory in eight of its 10 bouts. Junior Alex Gomez won by major decision at 133 pounds, and freshman Nick Wahba by decision at 141 pounds.

At 157 pounds, junior Kevin Collins defeated No. 2–ranked 149-pound National Junior College Athletic Association wrestler Kyle Wade with a takedown with 10 seconds remaining to defeat him 3–1.

The Bombers and Rams battled to a final score of 18–18 on Feb. 1, but the Rams broke the tie with a pin in the 125-pound weight class. In the 133-pound weight class, Gomez won 17–5. Wahba won again at 141 pounds, 14–2. At 165 pounds, Kristopher Schimek blanked his opponent with a 9–0 victory.

The Rams claimed victory in the final three bouts to tie the match. Liam Korbul earned a takedown with one minute remaining but was not given points for a fall.

The Bombers return to competition at noon Feb. 8 at the SUNY Oneonta Duals.

Gymnastics

The gymnastics team traveled to SUNY Brockport on Feb. 1 but left empty-handed, losing by a score of 188.800–172.350.

Sophomore Megan Harrington was the only all-around competitor at the meet, scoring 9.300 points on the vault, 8.900 points on the beam, 8.850 points on the floor and 9.125 points on the uneven bars.

Senior Rani Jacobson, sophomore Lara Haberle and freshman Alexis Mena scored the highest points in their respective events for the team this week.

Jacobson scored 9.425 points in the vault, placing seventh; Haberle scored 9.225 points on the beam, placing sixth; and Mena scored a career-high 9.250, placing seventh in the floor.

The team will compete again at 1 p.m. Feb. 8 at the Cornell University Invitational.

Track & Field

The men’s and women’s track and field teams both won the Empire 8 Championships on Feb. 1 in Glazer Arena. The women scored 168.5 points, and the men scored 146 points.

Junior Harmony Graves was one of the standout athletes, winning the women’s track athlete of the meet. Graves placed first in the women’s 200-meter dash with a time of 26.23 seconds and placed second in the 60-meter dash with a time of 8.03 seconds.

Junior Emilia Scheemaker won the women’s field athlete of the meet. Scheemaker placed first in the long jump and triple jump, including a record-breaking 12.07-meter triple jump.

For the men, junior Rashaad Barrett placed first in the 60-meter yard dash with a time of 7.04 seconds, which broke the meet record of 7.08 seconds. Sophomore De’Marques Graves also qualified for ECACs in the triple jump with a distance of 13.98 meters.

Sophomore Aaron Matthias and senior Brennan Edmonds had top performances. Matthias placed first in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.97 seconds, and Edmonds placed second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 51.41 seconds.

The men’s team will compete at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Glazer Arena. The women will head to the Boston University Valentine Invitational on Feb. 7–8.

Swimming and Diving

The No. 25–ranked men’s swimming and diving team won its dual meet against Union College on Feb. 1, overpowering the Dutchmen by a score of 194–106 at the Athletics and Events Center Pavilion.

The men opened with a win in the 200-yard medley relay. The team of seniors Connor White, Taylor Van Cott and Zack Kundel and junior Lucas Zelehowsky clocked in with a time of 1:34:04.

Zelehowsky commanded the meet, not only helping his relay but earning two individual first-place finishes and a second-place finish. He began with a win in the 200-yard butterfly finishing in 1:53.29. Zelehowsky then finished the meet with a first-place time of 2:02.34 in the 200-yard individual medley.

Junior Matt Morrison, the reigning Empire 8 Athlete of the Week, continued his dominance on the diving board. He swept both diving events, taking first in the 3-meter dive with a score of 371.25 and first in the 1-meter dive, scoring 369.45 points.

The women’s swimming and diving team also won against Union, with a 193–105 win over the Dutchwomen. The Blue and Gold took first place in a total of 11 of 16 events.

The Bombers earned first place in the 400-yard medley relay to begin the meet. The team of junior Kylie Bangs, sophomore Meredith Wells and freshmen Grace Ayer and Lake Duffy took the top spot with a time of 4:06.05.

After helping her relay to a first-place finish, Duffy excelled throughout the meet and earned two individual wins. She finished the 100-yard freestyle in 55.18 seconds and took first-place in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 25.07 seconds.

After securing her first Empire 8 Athlete of the Week honors for the second consecutive week, freshman Nickie Griesemer helped the Bombers sweep the diving events for with a first place score of 303.80 in the 3-meter dive and 311.40 in the 1-meter dive.

Both squads will host the Ithaca Invitational at 1 p.m. Feb. 15 at the A&E Center Pavilion.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team picked up its third road victory of the season Feb. 4 after defeating the Houghton College Highlanders 97–82 in Houghton, N.Y. The Bombers are now 6–14 on the season. The 97 points were the highest scoring total for the Bombers thus far this season.

The Bombers had four players who notched double-digit points. Freshman Joe Masino led the way for the Bombers, scoring a career-high with 29 on the night. Masino was also efficient from the 3-point line, as he hit six out of his seven attempts. Junior center Keefe Gitto also had a career-high on the night, with 25 points.

For the Highlanders, sophomore guard Brandon Camacho led the way with 21 points along with two assists on the night.

The Blue and Gold have five games remaining in the regular season, with all five games against Empire 8 opponents.

The South Hill squad begin a four-game homestand at 6 p.m. Feb. 7 against Nazareth College in Ben Light Gymnasium.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team won its eigth straight game Feb. 4 after defeating the Houghton College Highlanders 68–59 in Houghton, N.Y.

Senior guard Mary Kate Tierney continued her strong play for the Bombers with 21 points and added nine rebounds. Junior Forward Geena Brady contributed 12 points and eight rebounds in 27 minutes of action.

The South Hill squad was able pull away from the Highlanders at the beginning of the second half, going on a 21–2 run to lead by 20 with 8:18 remaining.

For the Highlanders, senior guard Kristen Moose and junior guard Stephany Ellison provided most of the scoring for the team, with 21 and 12 points respectively.

The Blue and Gold are now 16–4 on the season, including 8–1 in conference play. With five conference games remaining and Hartwick College with a 9–1 record in the conference, every game will be crucial down the stretch.

The Bombers will begin a four-game homestand at 8 p.m. Feb. 7 versus Nazareth College at Ben Light Gymnasium.

$1495
$2000