$1275
$2000

IC men’s soccer season ends in Empire 8 semifinals

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY AVERI PARECE

The Ithaca College men’s soccer team’s season has come to a close  with a 2–1 loss to the Houghton College Highlanders on Nov. 4 in the Empire 8 semifinals.

The match got off to a relatively slow start with a scoreless first half. The first goal of the game came in the 56th minute from Houghton’s sophomore forward Ben Lawrence. Lawrence found the back of the net off off a through ball from a free kick that penetrated the Blue and Gold’s defense. Houghton’s senior forward Landon Sheaffer and senior defensive player Tyler Inch were credited with the assist.

The Bombers were able to score in the 69th minute with a goal from sophomore forward Alexander Brosnihan. Creating the play, senior midfielder Scott Halpern received a pass from sophomore midfielder Zachary Lichtman and laid it off to Brosnihan. Brosnihan dribbled past Houghton’s back line and lofted the ball over its keeper in order to earn the Bombers’ lone tally of the match.

Houghton answered back a few minutes later with a goal from junior midfielder Ben Munkittrick, which was assisted by fifth-year midfielder Tyler Ashley. Ashley put in a cross from the opposite side, and Munkittrick sent it past the Bomber’s senior keeper Zach Jacobsen into the top corner to score the game-winner.

There was a flicker of false hope for the Blue and Gold in the 88th minute, as what seemed to be a late equalizer was called back due to an offsides call.

With this loss, the Bombers end their season with an overall record of 7–9–1. The Highlanders improve to 11–3–4 and will advance to the Empire 8 championship against St. John Fisher at 7 p.m. Nov. 5 in Hoboken, New Jersey.

$1275
$2000