$1375
$2000

$1375
$2000

Men’s soccer drops season opener to Clarkson University

The Ithaca College men’s soccer team started its season off on the wrong foot with a 2–0 loss at Clarkson University on Sept. 2.

The Golden Knights broke through first when junior Kevin Calnan put one past senior goalkeeper Zach Jacobsen 22 minutes into the game. Calnan quickly found the back of the net again for his second goal of the game, when he headed a ball in past Jacobsen off a corner kick to give the Golden Knights a 2–0 lead. The Bombers were unable throughout the 90 minutes to get on the scoreboard.

Sophomore midfielder Tyler Hiney said the team’s talk at halftime was positive and encouraging, but ultimately fell short.

“Our coach pointed out that tactically we were playing better than them … . He believed that we could bring it back.” Hiney said. “And he encouraged us to pick it up a gear because Clarkson was outworking us and that was why they were ahead. We all believed that we could make the comeback in the second half but obviously that didn’t happen.”

The Bombers will continue their season on the road and play next at noon Sept. 3 in Canton, New York against the No. 11 nationally ranked St. Lawrence University Saints.

Hiney said for their next match against the Saints will be a tougher game, but the Bombers will be prepared.

“If we work harder to close down space on defense and work harder in general to win 50/50’s, and be more physical, then we can come out tomorrow with a win,” Hiney said.

$1375
$2000