$1495
$2000

$1495
$2000

Ninth-ranked wrestling defeats three teams at Mel Berry Duals

The ninth-ranked wrestling team returned to winning form Jan. 23, beating Thiel College, Mercyhurst North East University and Baldwin Wallace University at the 2016 Mel Berry Duals in Greenville, Pennsylvania.

The dual-meet win improved the Bombers’ record to 9–4 on the season and gave them their second consecutive win after struggling in previous matches.

They started the day with a win in round one, dispatching Baldwin Wallace 22–9. The Blue and Gold took seven out of the 10 matches in the round.

Senior captain Eamonn Gaffney made his return from an injury he suffered earlier in the year, defeating Baldwin Wallace sophomore Grant Rathburn 13–9.

Sophomore Nick Velez, who went 3–0 on the day, also had an impressive first-round performance, recording a 17–5 major decision win over Baldwin Wallace sophomore Jimmy Sandlin.

The second round of the dual meet saw Ithaca College sweep all 10 matches, helping it secure a 50–0 win against Mercyhurst North East University.

Freshman Jake O’Brien had the biggest win of the second round, defeating Mercyhurst North East’s Terrence Reed 17–1 with a technical fall.

Mercyhurst North East had three wrestlers forfeit, giving junior captain Jimmy Kaishian, senior Daniel Pak and sophomore Bryan Israel wins.

The third and final round of the day saw the Bombers face off with Thiel College. They quickly downed the Tomcats 41–7.

The college posted eight wins in the third round, winning two matches by technical fall, three by fall, one by major decision and one by regular decision. Junior Carlos Toribio never saw his match, gaining a win by forfeit.

The Bombers will look to keep the momentum going when they resume action Jan. 29, hosting Nassau Community College in Ben Light Gymnasium.

$1495
$2000