$1260
$2000

$1260
$2000

Strong underclassman expected to propel men’s rowing team

Fernando Ferraz/The Ithacan

This spring, the Ithaca College men’s crew will be relying on its strong underclassmen to propel the team toward its goals.

After losing to rival Rochester Institute of Technology and rowing powerhouse Army University last year, the Bombers are hoping their training will give them an edge this year.

The team has been practicing six days a week, completing a combination of erging, lifting, swimming and pool stations. Junior captain Stephen Cadoux said the team has also been working on strengthening the bond between the upper and underclassmen.

“We have been preparing for our season by really integrating our novice and varsity team,” Cadoux said. “We are really united, and our upperclassmen are doing a great job at making everyone know that they are a valued and vital member of the team.”

During the fall, the South Hill squad competed in seven races. Cadoux said the fall season is a warmup for their more competitive spring season.

“Our challenge of this year is building momentum off of our momentum from our fall season,” Cadoux said. “We had a successful season all around, and we want to build off of our results. Our team is constantly pushing yourself to be faster, and looking back at the fall is really helping us.”

The Bombers will not begin racing until April, when they host the Cayuga Duals on April 1. After that, they will compete in nine regattas before the New York State Championships on May 6 and the National Invitational Rowing Championships on May 12.

Last season, the Bombers varsity and novice boats both placed third at the New York State Championships. At the National Invitational Rowing Championships, their highest finish was fourth. This year, the team is aiming to place higher on the podium.

Senior Alex Martin said he thinks the team is capable of doing so if they stay focused during the season.

“Our goals are to win our state championship as well as our national invitational,” he said. “We plan on accomplishing them by putting in the miles during winter training and training with a purpose.”

The Bombers are a young team this year, something that freshman Nicholas Tagg said could be a challenge this season. Of the 23 rowers, there are only five seniors and three juniors. This ratio of upperclassmen to freshmen and sophomores may be challenging in the short term, but freshman Nicholas Tagg said the team is focusing on the positive aspects of having so much youth.

“This gives us a lot of hope for the future of the team, and it will also make this season interesting,” he said.

Martin said the team is excited and ready to begin its season.

“There are always challenges to face on a sports team, but we face these challenges together as one team, and that is what makes us strong,” he said.

$1260
$2000