$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000

ITHACA TODAY: Tuesday, Oct. 1

Top news of the day
The stories you should check out

1. October is LGBT History Month. The Ithaca College LGBT center will provide videos for each day of the month, highlighting historical LGBT figures who were national heroes, advanced LGBT civil rights or have achieved success in their respective fields.

2. The deadline for the 12th annual Cross-Cultural Leadership Retreat, sponsored by the Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs, is today at 5 p.m. The 2 1/2 day retreat is Nov. 8–10, and all lodging, meals and transportation are free. Apply here.

3. Members of the campus community slept in the Academic Quad last night as part of Habitat for Humanity’s “Sleepout for Homelessness.” The goal of the sleepout was to raise awareness about the realities of homelessness. The event featured a presentation by Carmen Guidi, the philanthropist who last year found homes for the homeless men living in the Ithaca Jungle, through his own efforts and non-profit organizations.

What’s happening today
The events you won’t want to miss

1. Carl Potts, a former editor of Marvel Comics, will speak at 7 p.m. in Park Auditorium about graphic design and visual storytelling in a presentation titled, “Inside the Art of Visual Storytelling.”

2. Kicking off the main stage theater season at Dillingham Center is “Fires in the Mirror,” a play about Brooklyn’s Crown Heights riots in 1991. The show previews at 8 p.m. tonight, opens Oct. 3 and closes Oct. 12. Tickets are available at the main box office in Dillingham Center.

3. There is a Q&A brown-bag session on young adult fiction and playwriting at noon in Dillingham Studio 2. The session is with Malcolm Hillgartner and Jahnna Beecham, award winning actors, directors and audiobook narrators.

4. The Graduate and Professional School Fair is at 5:30 p.m. in Emerson Suites. Recruiters will speak with students who are considering applying to graduate or professional school.

This Week in Ithaca College History
What was The Ithacan reporting 30 years ago?

On Sept. 6, 1979, The Ithacan ran a front-page story about the former dean of the Park School, John Keshishoglou, and his resignation. Keshishoglou resigned from his position because he received a Fulbright Research Award to study in Greece and advise the Ministry of Education. The Dr. John Keshishoglou Center for Global Communications Innovation in the Park School, named for the late Professor Keshishoglou, offers immersive learning opportunities for communication students and professionals.

$1520
$2000